Do you have to pay REAL MONEY to obtain $L?

iAisu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well... do you? I cannot afford to be giving out my information just to get pixel money. (Nor is it worth it, since it is pixels)

If not, then what other ways are there?

If yes, then I will leave SL if I cannot enjoy all the features, like buying things I want without paying ridiculous amount of money for pixels.

Hmm, I cannot make stuff... so I'm leaving SL. :D

Thank you for telling me, I would've wasted so much time being on here. Not many people on either.

Going back to Impressive title, and feral heart. :)

Delete my account admins if you wish, so long SL not going to misss you!:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

You do not have to spend real money to play in SL. There are many free items available in world & on the SL Marketplace. There are also many sandboxes where you can rez packages & build things for free. If you want to spend lindens (the currency of SL), there are some ways you can find or earn them, but it's generally easier to buy them.

I'd suggest playing for free for a long while & seeing how much fun you can have & good free stuff you can find, before you decide if you want to quit yet. If you like a bit of a challenge, there are always hunts you can do to find free stuff.

(ps. Edit to Add)

I guess he was just another forum Troll

You could always get a pixel job that requires real work in order to buy the pixels you want, but since you've already stated that you don't feel it's worth it, I don't imagine working for it would appeal much to you.  

The people who have spent countless hours working hard to create all the content you would so like to enjoy deserve to be compensated. 

technically, yes... or at least someone does...

which leads to realistically, no... as dante said, make and sell stuff using the free tools provided. Then someone else is paying for them... not you.

ETA:
not many people on? sounds like a failure on your part then... my home region (which really isn't that busy) averages 11 people, every hour, of every day (~5 for non-US times and up to 30 for US hours) That's one not particularly busy region, out of thousands that are more active. simply open you map and follow the green dots. actually, don't... laziness adds nothing to anyones experience.

Btw, I am a she. :/

I am not a forum troll. I was being quite honest, really. I got my  answer, so don't judge people. ^o^!

Sorry I keep replying because people assume things. :)

Now I am OFFICALLY off. xD I have to go to bed now and get ready for school. <.>

Gotta study, study, study! Going to became a scientist. :)

Farewell good people... and... judgers? xD

If you do not wish to purchase Lindens with real life money, you will need to earn them by having a job, or selling a product you make or service.  You can also obtain them by winning contests or by participating in marketing studies like surveys.

Jobs are varied in SL and so is the pay. For instance, most club hosts and dancers work for tips.  Other jobs offer an hourly rate of pay or even a weekly salary.  The higher the wage the more experience and skill you will need to have.  Some jobs pay a commission, such as an agent who rents land. 

Making things or offering a serice requires some level of skill that you have obtained either in SL or in RL.  There are classes you can take to teach you various skills.  Some classes are free, others you will need to pay for.

Look on the forum boards and classifieds for informatoin about jobs,  the events list for scheduled classes or general search for places that offer classes.

Not to scare you or anything... but that money you have in the bank is also just pixels :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Most of the global money supply doesn't really exist in any solid form. It is primarily just 0s and 1s whipping round the world every few microseconds as intelligent algorithms inside computers decide for the banks where to trade it next.

Occasionally, a portion of this money (your allocation of electron bits) will be represented by paper you can carry with you. The paper itself has no intrinsic value.

In the 21st century, pixels (or any raw digital information) can have tremendous worth.

& to answer your question.....

No, you do not have to pay to get L$. Paying to get L$ might just be the quickest easiest route. You can get L$ in exchange for any goods or service which you might offer to another resident, educational institution, company, or military existing in Second Life

No.There are tons of people proud of everything they found in SL - for free. Its their way of living it.

If you need L$ to play SL, you can:

- collect them from money trees, sploders or contests,

- buy them,

- earn them, or

- find someone who will give you some L$...

Some people decide they won't go out today, so instead of spending money on drinks/food or whatever they would buy that day, they buy L$.

Its up to you to decide what to do with your money, rl or sl...

Most of the people I know find it challenging to earn L$ by making and selling things they make.

But if you want instant L$, you don't have time to learn how to create them, you don't wan't to buy them, then you have no choice then go and play some other games where, I suppose, you don't need time and skills to get some pixel money:)

iAisu wrote:

If yes, then I will leave SL if I cannot enjoy all the features, like buying things I want without paying ridiculous amount of money for pixels.

I like this view, it's what a load of teenagers did in the UK recently, had no money, couldn't afford anything, wanted whatever they wanted so under the guise of "riots", went on an organised looting spree.

This should be brought to SL, SL needs riots (outside of the merchant community and victims of server deployments that break content).

iAisu wrote:

Well... do you? I cannot afford to be giving out my information just to get pixel money. (Nor is it worth it, since it is pixels)...

(Not directed at the OP, who has clearly stated she has left. I hope the door didn't strike her posterior upon exiting)

By this argument, it's not worth paying for movies, computer games, TV shows, eBooks or any other digital media. They're just pixels, for heaven's sake! And forget digital music: you don't even get the pixels with that.

Of course, many people are of the firm belief that they shouldn't have to pay for any of these things anyway, so why should SL be any different?

You actually don't have to spend a bean in Second Life, but if it's "designer" stuff in Second Life that you want to buy, then that will cost Linden Dollars. (And I want you to ask yourself why it is you would desire the things in a virtual world that would cost linden dollars/real money - those same urges that we get in real life creep into our Second Life don't they?)

You've already made up your mind that you've got a life, and I hope you work hard and do extremely well at college.  Also, if you are under 25 years old, I really would advise spending as much time out there with the 3D people as possible, and this doesn't include faffing about with electronic gadgets instead of looking people straight in the eye and making real conversations with them. 

And if you do return to Second Life, when you perhaps are a little bit bored and need to fill/kill a bit of time, you can enjoy it as much as people enjoy a pint of beer, a glass of wine, a vase of flowers (which, let's face it, could also be seen as a waste of real money because they don't last even as long as the stuff we spend real money on in a pixel world). 

I'm not a creator either. I only ever made money inworld when I was buying and selling virtual land.  I wasn't one of the Big Boys, but I certainly made enough money to buy myself something pretty on a regular basis. I was also a columnist in a virtual newspaper for a whle and made a bit of money from that, which I didn't see as a job because it was just a fun thing that I did in lieu of Facebook/myspace.

And - shock, horror - I still always have time for my real life as well as my Second Life.

Potatoes, potahtoes, one man's meat is another man's poison, and all of that. What is seen to be a waste of time and money for one person, is another person's leisure and pleasure.  

SL is just not for you it seems.

Jo Yardley wrote:

We have a riot in our sim every may because they had one in RL 1929 Berlin as well.

Mind you, 1920s cops do things slightly different then 2011 cops so prepare to get shot at.

Reminds me of the great comic, Yakoff Smirnoff.  When asked the biggest difference he saw between the U.S. and the old Soviet USSR he replied, "The warning shot!"

such a great country!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.