SL Viewer 2 is not working correctly

sylar Oppewall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear LL and techies, any one that might know what to do.

so in addition to the problem i was having in this post http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Running-sl-with-a-i5-and-a-ati-radeon-hd-5570-graphics-card/td-p/1103867

CPU:         Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz (2893.45 MHz)
Memory: 4078 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 430/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.5936
OpenGL Version: 4.0.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

, installed and updated my DivX and drivers reinstalled the SL viewer and went threw the various hints tips and trick i was being asked to perform in the previous post and still am coming up with the same issue "Grey SL"

please help im clearly not sure what is going on at this point. and ive tried everything

Snapshot_002.jpg

It's the whole package than provides good SL performance.  Yeah, a good graphics card is necessary and everyone focuses on that single hardware device.  You can have the best graphics card in the world and if the rest of your system is lacking it won't do much of anything to improve your SL experience.  You need a good, fast and consistant Internet connection.  You need a fair amount of good, fast and consistant system RAM.  And you need, at least, a fair CPU (you don't need the fastest quad core out there.........but a good one that is running properly).  You also need a well maintained computer........not one that has never seen a defragmentation program in 2 years.  Your hard drive has to be running without excessive damaged sectors (or heavily fragmented...........it also helps that your hard drive is not more than about 80% filled).  Background programs (many you don't even know are running) interfere with SL as much as anything.  Look at your system as a whole.......not just the graphics card.  I bet there are many things you can do to improve your performance in SL..........but not without some specs.

And, for the record, I know you went out and got a new card for your computer.  But the GT 430 is not a very high performing graphics card...........it's just above an entry level gaming card.  That makes it able to run SL at a decent setting......but barely.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.