Sign in to follow this  
sparkles Sieyes

will secondlife use a GTX580 card

Question

Probably not all of it. :smileytongue:

Does it look remotely like this? (this card will eat SL for breakfast and have plenty of room for WoW at lunch)

ASUS-GTX580-DirectCU-II-ENGTX580-DC-II-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-580.jpg

It takes a beefy pc to run this card.

I would expect frame rates of about 100 FPS (possibly on ultra)

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Probably not all of it. :smileytongue:

Does it look remotely like this? (this card will eat SL for breakfast and have plenty of room for WoW at lunch)

ASUS-GTX580-DirectCU-II-ENGTX580-DC-II-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-580.jpg

It takes a beefy pc to run this card.

I would expect frame rates of about 100 FPS (possibly on ultra)

• Like 1

Hello sparkles. With one word yes. On the other side i don't know if it is a good idea to spend so many funds if you need a card just for Second Life. A Nvidia GTX460 is cheaper but good enough also.

• Like 1

well planning on using it for second life and maybe some 3-d movies wireless and so hoping that it does work for the best and even might get into some other games that hubby will like.....tyvm for your answers....it is on a laptop too though and it will be a strong computer :) I hope it is finally lol

The GTX 580 will run SL quite well.........but so does the GTS 250.  You can certainly run a $450 plus card if you want but it's not necessary when a $100 card will do.  Sure you'll get high frame rates.  But what good is it to have each scene rendered 3 times for every scene your eye sees.  Bragging rights I guess.  But no practical reason for what SL is going to deliver with it's less than optimized user created content.

To each their own.

• Like 1

You don't really need such a beefy PC to run the card as a hefty power supply..........and to protect your investment a good cooling system (which starts with a well designed case). It takes a PCI express (probably 16 x) slot..........most computers today have at least one PCI express x16 and one PCI express slot. It's a double depth card so you will sacrafice the use of one slot (probably the PCI express slot). It also looks like it's a little longer in length than most video cards so make sure you have room inside your case to place it without having to cram your hard drive(s) over in a corner like I had to do with a computer I had and a GTX 9800 card.