Get noticed!?

Pookiepie Bluecoat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You really have to go the extra mile to get your designs visible these days. Flickr, Plurk, and a store blog are ideal starting points. From there, getting involved in events like hunts, fairs, and weekday sales can also be a big help. Getting in touch with bloggers is valuable too, if you come across bloggers with a similar style to yours.

Get a store blog up and running and sign up for What's New SL. Join Plurk and the SLUniverse forums and get to know people and post your new releases photos. Give hugs and make friends and share a little so that you are not just posting ads so you are not seen as a spammer. Have your vendor ads up on flickr (leave the prices off for two reasons - easier to change and they will suspend your account if the prices are on) and post them into appropriate groups - like Red into the Red clothes group, etc. Don't add to groups where the don't belong - again, that is seen as Spam, but adding to groups where it does belong is liked and welcomed. 

Follow the feeds and find a few bloggers that wear the styles you make and shoot good pictures and send them some promotional copies with a NC asking them to check out your stuff. Truly, make sure you look at their blogs before you send so that you can be fairly sure they will like your style of clothing. 

Blogs. I've noticed so many people lately using blogs to find new fashions - including myself!

Hunts. I've found several lovely stores doing hunts - stores I probably never would have given a second glance except for the hunt.

Marketplace. As many complaints as merchants have about the marketplace, I use it quite often to find specific items. I'll go through the "featured" section, especially for women's clothing, or surf for something specific, like a certain color or style of skirt.

Midnight Mania. Get a board, and advertise it in some of the MM groups. Another way I found some good shops.

SL has become very competitive.

Finding blogs that will show off your work and give it exposure help to get the ball rolling.

Make sure your brand and a lm to it is prominent in your profile (I just went to look and am struggling to see what you make at all). Should be the first thing in your picks...

Joining Fashion Consolidated is also a way to get the word out there. Lots think it's got too much but it still has a large membership that is hungry for new content.

Get in other groups like MENstuff or WOMENstuff, which have periodic hunts.

Put out a freebie with a lm over at FabFree Headquarters (contact Renee Lowenhart).

Join groups that are specific to your niche (which is kind of rockabilly). For example, you would not be in a group that Azul would be in..... You might find a group that Ingenue is in or JetDoll or Artilleri....

Watch what designers you admire are doing and mimic their actions. (But don't copy their work ;))

I visited your store. You need MORE content first ;)

You have to put as much time into promotion as you do on making product. If you can't hire someone to...

Thank you all so much for your feedback.  I have been told in the past as well to get in touch with bloggers and it seems their power is becoming more and more evident.   

Sl is very competitive much more so than it was when I started creating in 07 when a quick post in Fashion Consolidated was enough to flood your store for a few days.  My partner and I are both still members of Fashcon and actually just posted our opening today.   I will be for sure looking into joining more especially those that are in line with our overall theme. We are going for a somewhat rockabilly style over all but want to enclued some grungier items as well.

Harper I also want to thank you for taking time out to come visit our humble little shop.  Yes we need MORE content lol we both have project in the works as well as older creations.  We have at least for the most part decided not to place our older items as our current skill level is not quite reflected in them.  Maybe we will need to sit down this week and decide what of it might work at least as place holders for now.  We do hope to fill it (however small it might be) very soon. 

I think I could go on all night about it lol but I'll stop there.  Again thank all of you for your feed back I plan on giving all of your suggestions a shot.  

for me it is about the store....I will spend more money and time in a well stocked attractive shop.  I love hearing from the creators and one that takes time to come into group chat and interact with members is always great as they can answer questions , chat about designs etc..... customer service is always key.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

It is hard, even when you've been here a little while. You are fighting to be noticed above a constant scream of "NEWNESS NEWNESS NEWNESS" from the thrice-weekly-new-releasers-and-discounters, even if you have slaved for weeks over a gorgeous original creation. Good bloggers do wonders, especially when they can throw your items under a different light and style them in ways you might not have considered. Creators can be a bit reclusive ( I find it partially neccessary), as that's often what it takes to do the designing, sculpting, texturing and putting-togethering, but bloggers are usually better networkers and so the skills are complementary. You help their blog by supplying material, and they help you by supplying critique and exposure.

Don't rely on inworld search, and instead make sure that your Marketplace listings are kept up-to-date with each release.

I do recommend that you get involved with any major fairs related to your industry. They may only happen annually, but they are really a brilliant way to reach new clientelle. (Jewellery Fair. On Now. Go There.....snort.)

Hunts...hmmm....I'd recommend you do one every now and again. I've done 2 in 3 years, but I'm a cranky old woman so don't listen to me. I'd really like to do another soon, if it's themed specifically, and is fun.

And "specific" is the key. Find a niche, and be specific to it. Find a passion, and find other people who are passionate about the same thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.