Winlight settings at the click of a button?

Mauricette Morane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible somehow to access Windlight settings via a script, and more specifically, somehow put favourite Windlight settings on a HUD or somesuch, that I could to access my favourite settings in one click? I'd LOVE that, even if I have to write it myself (thereby biting more than I can chew no doubt, but never mind). But where would I start? It is remotely possible? I know I can set a default one, but I would like to be able to access several.

PS Not sure this is the right thread for it, but I have no idea where else to ask....

No, it's not possible to do that with LSL.  However, in some viewers it is at least possible to create your own custom settings and save them to the pulldown menu that lists your Windlight choices in the Environment editor.  That's not quite as convenient as a HUD, but it's only a couple of extra clicks, and you probably don't change settings so often that it's super annoying.

It's only possible, I think, if you use RLV -- then it's really easy.   Simply list the names of your favourite windlight presets in the script, use llDialog to select the one you want and then, in the listen event, have something like 

llOwnerSay("@setenv_preset:"+message+"=force");

If you don't normally use RLV, don't worry; all you have to do is turn it on, and wear a hud with this script, and nothing else is going to be able to affect you with RLV (for that you would need to be using a relay, too).

Rufus Darkfold wrote:

What viewers support RLV and also support mesh and MOAP?

None of them is capable of uploading mesh as yet, but the RLV  Version 2.7.3.2, Dolphin V3 and the Firestorm Mesh Beta all support RLV, and can see mesh and MOAP. 

ETA:  To my delight, Kitty Barnett has updated her Catznip Viewer, which, of course, includes her version of RLV, RLVa, after a long hiatus.   Her 2.8 can see mesh and, of course, MOAP.

@Rolig Thank you! I thought I'd ask, because I like to take quite a lot of pictures of the same scene at lots of different windlight settings (20+, and it would be more if it was easier to change), and it would be a massive time saver not to have to go through the menu (it's a minimum of 4 clicks each time, and it really is quite time consuming; of course the fact that I have a low boredom treshold doesn't help). Not to mention that my favourite setting ALWAYS get overriden, no matter what I do, and I have to choose it again and again, and it would just be nicer if it was faster. No, it's not the end of the world, but it would just be nice...

@Innula Ooooh, thank you, that sounds good, but what on earth is RLV? The only reference I can find to this acronym is something to do with a separate viewer for a very specific purpose, so - if that's what you're referring to - I'm not sure how I'm supposed to "turn it on". Is there more info out there?

Mauricette Morane wrote:

@Innula Ooooh, thank you, that sounds good, but what on earth is RLV? The only reference I can find to this acronym is something to do with a separate viewer for a very specific purpose, so - if that's what you're referring to - I'm not sure how I'm supposed to "turn it on". Is there more info out there?

The Restrained Love API was originally created by Marine Kelley for her Restrained Love viewer but has been adopted by several other third party viewers, either in Marine's implementation (by Dolphin and Cool VL) or in Kitty Barnett's implementation, known as RLVa (Kitty's own Catznip viewer, Singularity, Firestorm and Phoenix).    Imprudence also supports it, but I don't think they've updated it for ages (though I could be mistaken there -- I would be very happy to learn I am).

When activated, the API lets scripts control aspects of your viewer that normally you have to control manually.   It does this by responding to instructions issued by objects belonging to you, using llOwnerSay.   

However, the API is not normally activated by default in viewers that support it (it is in Singularity, but I think that's the only one).    That is, after installing Firestorm or whatever you have to "turn RLV on," as I rather inelegantly put it, by locating the appropriate setting in your viewer preferences -- exactly where it is and what it's called varies from TPV to TPV --  and setting it to respond to RLV commands and then relogging.   

If you can't find it in your viewer preferences, you should always be able to find restrainedLove in the debug settings of your TPV.   Set that to TRUE and relog.

Capture.JPG

Note that only items you own can control your viewer. In order for other people to use my viewer's RLV capabilities to capture me or strip me or whatever, I have to be wearing an object that I've set to allow them so to do. So if the only RLV item you're wearing is your own hud for changing windlight presets, you don't need to worry about other people being able to exploit the fact you're got RLV enabled ( just be careful about accepting offers of collars from people!). Please feel free to IM me in world if you need any help setting up RLV. If you'd like, I'll drop you off a simple preset-changer to show you how it's done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.