Cannot load Clothing

Agirl3003

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been getting this error since last night and I am getting REALLy fed up with it. I cannot load, and when I login it tells me it cannot download my clothing. I have tried several different viewers and nothing has fixed it. Please do something about this, I am getting incredibly frustrated and upset over this.

It is frustrating when this happens, Agirl3003, but quite easily fixed.  Actually switching between viewers can cause this to happen too.

You need to do a character test.  At the top of your screen inworld there should be menu option of "Advanced" (if it's not there, click on "ctrl" "alt" "D" at the same time.  Now click on "advanced", and from the drop down menu, select "character", then "character tests", "test female".  Your avatar will go back to a default setting, and your inventory will load.  Now you will be ready to just drag across to your avatar your usual favourite skin, shape, hair, clothes, HUDs.

I think character tests are pretty much a last resort.

If your clothes are not downloading, there are several possible causes. Trying to fix the problem is best done starting with the easy stuff and progressing to the complex.

All the gory steps possible are here: Avatar Render Problems: Ghost Cloud Smoke Ball Ruth

The quick and easy process is to visit any deserted region. Pick one of the deserted regions around Pooley or if you are Adult Verified try the Zindra sea.

Once there clear the cache. Peferences->Advanced-Clear Cache. Restart the viewer and log into the last location. Open your inventory and see if it is loading. You can type letters in the inventory search window to sometimes speed it up. 

If inventory is loaded and the avatar has yet to render even after a rebake, change your active group. This is the oldest SL trick but it often works.

If inventory is not loading or is horribly slow, restart the modem and reboot the computer. SL requires a large number of connections and some modems have a problem with that. The restart corrects that problem. Long term you would want a better modem.

When you come back on check your connection with SpeedTest.net. You want 250ms or less and less than 3% packet loss. Test to Dallas and San Francisco. If that looks good login and press Ctrl-Shift-1 to open the viewer stats and check the connect stats there. You can have a good connection and get bad results in Viewer Stats if LL is having a bad day.

If those steps don't solve the problem, read the article.

Ouch!

Do you really believe that character tests are "pretty much a last resort"?  Crikey.

I believe that when a person is vocalising on the forums that they are fed up or frustrated at having a lingering problem, which might seem quite commonplace to us here on the forums, the last thing they need is reams and reams of information to wade through. It's too confusing. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.