Addicted?

BJayy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

when I was out of work and the weather was cold I would be here a good 8 hours every day pretty much but since summer and finding a job and other things, I am maybe on for like 4 hours a week. Lately I don't even feel like being on. It can be insanely addictive at first but the novelty wears off and it becomes just another stop in your web browsing.

i usually throw it on like i do another browser tab..

i don't think i'm addicted ..it's used as a messemger more than anything now for me..

i mean i do still do things in it..but a lot of the things i enjoyed before are just not there or as easy to find anymore..

there was a time when it really was addictive..but never enough to make me miss a day of work or not get my laundry done or chores or house work..

and people that are on here 24/7..well that doesn't mean they are actually on here..it could be their avatars are just logged in..i used to leave mine on 24/7 but still went to work and did all that other stuff..

some may work in sl as well..

I use to clock hours on end until I had some account issues. Was doing the whole family rp, boxing, I probably say I tried about almost everything learning the game. I am thinking though even if I get it sorted I am gonna cut down on my envolvement with this game. I can honestly say I was addicted up until I came home from winning a boxing match an went to relog and found I couldn't jack back in. Sorta broke my addiction and brought me back to reality to the fact you can be unplugged from the Matrix and loose everything ya ever worked for in the game at any moment an not much you can do about it. Not really feeling that mojo. lol Think I will take a page out Ceka's book an use it more as a chat program for friends. lol

Not really.. or not at all.

I was playing SL on a daily basis, spending 5-6 hours every day but it was more because I was too lazy to logout and log back in again after an hour to check something. Easier to put myself on busy and go afk:)

I thought I was addicted but really, turning my pc on and going in SL was not the first thing I did when I woke up...

My pc broke I think it was end of July... I could log in with my laptop and play but it was kinda slow (allthough on lowest preferences), I could not make nice photos and since that was the only thing that interested me at that time, I took a little break from SL. I thought its going to be a few days only. But time runs fast lol

I login every now and then to pay the rent, pick up some inventory offers or important notecards, maybe hello to somene and log off after 5mins.

I never saw a single mesh item inworld, haven't tried the latest LL Viewer3, have no idea what viewer I'll be using now and its easier not to login at all then to make 5000 adjustments or spend few hours searching through web on "how to fix my problem" cause I know I'll have them! (I tend to experience every possible bug and problem that exist lol)

Maybe when it gets colder here, when I become too lazy to put my jacket on and go out, maybe I'll find something interesting beside photos that will make me spend more time inworld...

For now I am spending all my home-lazy time on forums and Flickr!:matte-motes-nerdy:

In a few years it will be 5 years since I joined SL.  I could count the number of times I've spent a full day in-world on the fingers and thumb of one hand, I should think, usually when making things.   Most days I spend an hour or two on SL, some days I don't log in.  Recently I went a whole week without logging in, and I was at home, not away on holiday!  I don't know if I'm addicted or not.  Time in SL only eats into time I'd spend doing other things on the computer like Facebook or perhaps writing or art.

Sometimes I log in, find a place where I know they play music I like, start dancing in a corner of the dancefloor, set 'busy' and then minimise SL and do other things on the computer, just 'finding' myself again now and then to see that I'm still behaving myself in-world.

• 2 years later...

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to SL and I'm a psychology researcher at Columbia Unversity medical center in the clinic for gambling addiction. In my clinic, I've been trying to raise awareness of gaming addiction and how much more research we need on the topic, especially to figure out how we can define "gaming addiction." 

In response, I designed a little online survey through Surveymonkey to ask people about their gaming and associated behavior. It takes about 20 minutes and there's a chance to win a $50 or $100 Amazon e-gift card as a prize. It's just a research project, so i don't ask for any personal or financial information- I could also send you all official approvals from Columbia if you want.

If you're interested in particated, click on the survey link. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VTKMXRS

Contact information is on the first page of the survey if you want to talk to me further about it. 

Thanks guys!

-Kibby

KibMcM wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to SL and I'm a psychology researcher at Columbia Unversity medical center in the clinic for gambling addiction. In my clinic, I've been trying to raise awareness of gaming addiction and how much more research we need on the topic, especially to figure out how we can define "gaming addiction." 

In response, I designed a little online survey through Surveymonkey to ask people about their gaming and associated behavior. It takes about 20 minutes and there's a chance to win a $50 or $100 Amazon e-gift card as a prize. It's just a research project, so i don't ask for any personal or financial information- I could also send you all official approvals from Columbia if you want.

If you're interested in particated, click on the survey link. 

Contact information is on the first page of the survey if you want to talk to me further about it. 

Thanks guys!

-Kibby

What are the odds of winning? 

How many winners will there be?

Will you be publishing a list of the winners?

Is there a way I can enter this contest with out having to make a purchase?

What will you do with unclaimed prizes?

The odds of winning a prize is 9%, so pretty high actually. There will be four winners in total. I can't publish the list of winners because all of their responses are anonymous and I want to protect their privacy. 

You absolutely do NOT have to make a purchase- I never ask for you to pay anything or submit any personal information. It's completely voluntary. 

There will be no unclaimed prizes- we will run the study until all of them are claimed by people who partcipate! That could be you  :)

KibMcM wrote:

Hey Everyone,

At first I thought you meant "gaming" as in gambling and how ingenious it was for you to offer a chance to win something for taking your survey.

...Dres (Oh well... so much for ingenuity.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.