Rigged mesh v not rigged mesh skirt

Venus Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I didn't buy the dress for the same reason, the rigging around the ankles appeared to be strange. I found that the Jane long skirts moves better. But it is some weird poses where the skirt is broken, of course. You can stretch mesh but it's not magical, it will break. My minimum demand is that it has to move good in normal walking. These Jane skirts set the standard for me, if they don't move as good or better, no buy.

mesh skirt collage.jpg

Another thing is that mini skirts seem to be hard to rig as well. This is a demo that I didn't buy, because the skirt breaks even in normal walking, and in a standing pose with legs crossed.. 

DF mesh.jpg

I am starting to get tired of the same mesh templates beeing offered in crappy texturing on the Marketplace though. If the texturing looks very simple, it is just not worth it.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but Strawberry Singh has asked folks who have found mesh items to not them on her plurk here.  Perhaps you will find some stuff for guys, Dres.

There are some blogs focussing on fashion for men, too. 

http://carthalis.com/

http://stuff-sl.com/menstuff/

http://irregularguy.wordpress.com/

http://www.second-man.com/

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

At some point somebody needed to decide when to go 'live' with this.

It is also true that I have no concept of the programming involved.  But with so many other issues that affect our daily Second Life, e.g.  borked search, group chat problems, etc, the average resident could ask if whether LL jumped the gun and introduced this too soon?

When has LL ever waited until things were "right" to roll them out?  I've complained many times before about LL dropping half-baked half-usable crap (V2 for one) onto their user base and expecting us to not only deal with it for the time being, but help them figure out how to fix it, as well.  You get to a point where you just have to accept it... I've given up on complaining about it anymore.  After all... what good has it ever done?

...Dres (Of course, I'll probably be seen letting off some steam about something or another at some point in the future... with LL's track record, it's practically inevitable.)

From one point of view I don't envy a Linden Lab employee.  They are in the position of having to serve TWO masters, The Residents and their Corporate Bosses (The Investors). This is what for many makes retail sales and management (my RL field) a miserable experience for many.  Trying to keep both your customers and your employer happy.  Make one happy and the other one gets pissed.

But really, if asked the question today, I would have to say that my SL experience has improved greatly since I joined a little over four years ago.  Three things account for that. 

1.  Better understanding of how the World works and customizing to get the best performance that works for me.

2.  Better hardware.  I've upgraded my personal computer(s) a couple of times.

3.  Some improvements by LL to the software codes.

The thing is number 3 should be a bigger factor than what I perceive it to be. 

Second Life is an Integral part of my Real Life.  That is why I speak up or comment.  I don't really define this as 'complaining.'  I define it as caring about this integral part of my life.  I don't fret about it when I am In World outside of when I am helping others who are having problems. 

There is really only one thing that I strongly disagree with and that is LL's implementation of Linden Homes.  I feel strongly that the way they are handled is a bad business practice.  I have stated my case clearly on this in other posts.

Thanks

Perry

Hi, if i remember right then the gown comes with an alpha map for legs so your legs cannot show no matter what you do.

Where that works for gowns and pants or tops it doesn´t for short/mini skirts.

Poorly none of my female characters fit into the demos i´ve tried.

And as a sidenote, rigging a mesh skirt is a biiiig pain in the ..... :smileysurprised: or maybe i just want it toooo perfect.

Last but not least, no way i´m going to adjust my shape (that counts for hide parts too) to fit into clothes. Can´t wait for Lindens to allow rigged meshes to be resized!!!

Monti

Monti Messmer wrote:And as a sidenote, rigging a mesh skirt is a biiiig pain in the ..... :smileysurprised: or maybe i just want it toooo perfect.

Last but not least, no way i´m going to adjust my shape (that counts for hide parts too) to fit into clothes. Can´t wait for Lindens to allow rigged meshes to be resized!!!

Monti

Hi. If you know to do your own mesh clothes then just export your exact avatar shape from SL. Then import it to your 3D program and make exact fitting clothes for your shape. For miniskirts this is great because alpha layer is not so good for miniskirt (we do not want to show a void there, possible peepers will get shocked... :smileysurprised:). When making exact fitting clothes to your own shape, and when it's rigged well, there is no need for alpha layer, just normal underwear works great.

At least Phoenix viewer has the possibility to export your own shape just the way how it looks in SL. If I remember correctly, the SL shape must be created by you to be able to export it, so it might not work with bought shapes. I made a miniskirt to my exact SL shape and it works excellently with panties. Great! :smileyhappy:

On the topic of using your own shape from SL to get a custom fit, you have two choices: exporting the separate .obj files or exporting out an XML file (it includes the model and armature) for your specific SL avatar. (Note: This will only help if you are you are the one creating the clothing item.)

Tutorial for first method:

Tutorial for first method:

Also, if you want to add your vote to a JIRA about fixing the sizing issue, read Max's JIRA: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2374

I know that SLink is offering the service of creating a mesh "model" of your own shape and then fitting their items to it.  You pay a fee for the model and then a nominal fee in addition to the purchase price to have items for sale in the store custom made to fit your shape. 

I don't see LL offering resizing of rigged mesh anytime soon, so I hope more creators offer this option.  I would cheerfully pay a fee to several of my favorite creators if they were to work in mesh and offer this service.  My shape is *very* curvy and even the curvy demos in most of the mesh items I've seen so far don't come close to fitting.  Since I have no desire to change my shape, I'm out of luck for alot of items unless this service is offered.

• 4 months later...

It does still puzzle me that LL did not make mesh resizeable.  While I am no expert on the subject, I have heard several creators state it is doable.  I still feel that ALL clothes should be modifiable.  That clothes should fit the avatar, not the other way around.  I didn't just randomly choose my shape.  There is some thought that went into me looking the way I do.

Thank God, someone else has finally realised how ridiculous this is becoming. WTF would I want to change my AVIS shape for, every time I change outfits. That is a bloody joke (not a good joke either). I am currently trying to learn how to make rigged mesh clothing, and I won't release anything until I know it can work for everyone, or be modified by the buyer so they can adapt it to fit thier avi.

Linden Labs and the content creators need to remember that we pay money to get our avi's looking just so, I think it's rude to expect us to then have to change our AVI to suit our clothing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.