Sign in to follow this  
kurt7D8 Avon

Let's Compare Notes on a Few Viewers

I think that LL's Viewer 2.0 is very clean, with a nice mix of minimalism and functionality.  But, for me, it has one flaw that makes this viewer a deal-breaker: the failure of Profiles to load.  When I want to meet people, I IM.  I need to scan lots of Profiles to find likeminded souls.  Oh, I wish LL would bring back the rt. click pie chart that'd snap open in one second. . . 

For my OS MacX Snow Leopard, Singularity and Phoenix both crash constantly.  Too bad because Singularity's Radar is WONDERFUL.

Imprudence has good stablity and lots of Viewer 1.0 features and solves the Profile failure to load problem. But it's not as efficient with input devices as Viewer 2.0.

So I'm going to live with using two viewers: Viewer 2.0 for working around the house alone and Imprudence for meeting people . . . 

BTW, I was an "immersionist."  I was very distraught when LL removed full screen capacity.  A full screen without reminders of RL contributed to SL's magic. Imprudence has this toggle feature, but it has a glitch. My mouse cursor continually blinks or disappears.  I've used Apple bluetooth and wired mice and swapped out a MS mouse to no avail.  Too bad.  Maybe I'll check Imprudence forums for a solution.

I'd enjoy hearing some of your comments and experiences as well as suggestions.  Is there any strong third-party viewer that I should yet try?

Can you access a Windows OS? Dual boot your Mac or something? Buy a netbook? You may like radegast, but it is not available for the Macintoosh yet. 

Radegast is text based, but the radar is awesome and the lag non-existent. It's great for zipping through profiles. 

they need to bring full screen back, for me, 3D works faster under full screen, maybe the operating system concentrate more resources to an application when is under full screen, it also really added to the immersive experience.

You might want to tweeak/update Phoenix- or Firestorm. Works great on my 2 diff Snow Leopard devices (MBP and big 'ole iMac). No crashy since the July releases.