is this truth?

coka Seda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

cently made the decision to kull older unused accounts from the grid. The reason given for this is that the amount of unused accounts are lagging the inventory servers. If every avatar has just one alternate account, thats twice as much storage is unnecessarily being used. So from October 1 2011, Linden Labs will commence kulling any account that has not been signed into for 60 days. If you don't want your alt account deleted, please log in

8 answers to this question

This unfounded rumor resurfaces every once in a while, usually after we have enough new people in SL who haven't heard it before.  For what it's worth:

(1) LL would announce anything that affects such a huge number of residents VERY LOUDLY.  It would show up as an official blog post and would be featured in a login message for months ahead of time.  Yes, I know LL is pretty clumsy about customer relations, but they're not dumb enough to do something like this without making a big noise first.  They didn't.

(2)  Unused accounts can't lag the asset servers. 

(3) Loads of people leave SL for longer than 60 days at a time, and even more loads of people have alt accounts that may not log in very frequently.  For example, merchants may often have an alt account that does nothing but serve as a bank account --- a place to receive payments from in-world shops or Marketplace and then dispense money to pay tier or to transfer off-world. Those alts might never come in world to do their work.  If LL closed those accounts, there'd be hell to pay.

(4) LL does periodically clear the asset servers of inventory from very old and inactive accounts.  That's why we usually warn people that  they might come back after a very long vacation ( a year or more) and find inventory missing.  As far as I'm aware, though, they only close an account if it had recurring liabilities that made its cash balance go negative (or if there was a TOS violation involved).

ACTUALLY, there was an official LindenLabs post about culling unused account to help clear up lag on the database.

I saw this posting in the blog, I sat here and read it word for word to my RL sister who shares the same computer room as I.  And the reason I am even posting this is because it was posted, however, I am no longer able to find the posting!

I saw the post in late August, early September. And if memory serves me correctly, October 1, 2011 was the cut off date to save those accounts. I know my sister and I immediately logged in to save make sure our single name accounts we reserved, were still available and would be shown as active.

Basically calling it rumor because you haven't seen the posting is not a good way to respond just because historically it MAY have been an unfounded rumor.

I have no idea why they pulled the article.  I do know it was posted.

In addition to the post that Griffin mentions, I reposted several times (with his permission) Rhett Linden's response when this same rumor appeared in the SL Educators list on September 21, 2011: "This caught my eye and I wanted to set the record straight. We are not planning to do anything with your accounts or alt accounts. It's in our interest to ensure you have access to your account." Hence, the rumor is NOT true, as many of us have said.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.