Viewer 2/2 beta / firestorm - DNS cannot resolve host name error.

Siggy Romulus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm just jumping through the hoops here, not expecting any new info, but hey, the squeaky wheel and all that muck.

You know the error, there's quite a few pages of them already... boot up, get the above error.

I've gotten this with the latest stable,beta, and firestorm.

Yep, flushed the DNS cache.

Yep,cleared my SL cache.

Yep, tried changing my DNS server.

So maybe there's something I've not tried yet... but seeing how I'm logged into SL at this very moment with viewer 1.3, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 'I think this might be a problem with the viewer.' 

(editing to add)

Yes, tried the google DNS as well. Seeing how I updated V2 in order to create/update my current content on the market to take advantage of mesh.....'just use 1.23' is not a viable solution to the problem. 

2 answers to this question

I suspect that there's something in the V3 viewer code that is making it more sensitive to DNS errors.  We seem to be getting a lot more notes about DNS recently.  If you have tried changing your DNS and have flushed the DNS cache, that should have solved the problem.  (We're recommending that you try the free public Google DNS, BTW.  It's at 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 )  If you can log in with 1.23, I'd say to go with it for now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.