Hi guys just thought I would say hello!

InspiredJohn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all nice to be here!  I have been hearing varying things about Second life for a long time now and finally decided to take the plunge. I am like I am sure many of you are here, self employed (in the real world) and currently run an IT firm/consultancy. Iv'e decided to come here to explore and create a second life for myself and my business and really just see how it pans out! any tips? advice?

InspiredJohn wrote:

Hi all nice to be here!  I have been hearing varying things about Second life for a long time now and finally decided to take the plunge. I am like I am sure many of you are here, self employed (in the real world) and currently run an IT firm/consultancy. Iv'e decided to come here to explore and create a second life for myself and my business and really just see how it pans out! any tips? advice?

Hi!

Pro Tip: Unless you build IT infrastructure for pron sites, don't locate your business in Zindra :matte-motes-big-grin:

Welcome! 

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in colour dim I mark'd
Over a portal's lofty arch inscrib'd:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

best of luck:smileysurprised:

RL business to SL doesn't sell much in here unless you are using SL as a demo site for your RL business. An engineer/ architect/interior designer in RL may be able to use SL as their 3D demo of a house or building.

As for IT applications, it is only usable as a demo if it is integrated with a scenario. MadPea although in my opinion still at its infancy are able to develop the idea of how future health care information can be used as part of the education process.

It is possible to do international RL business meetings inworld (as I have done it before) provided all participants are equipped with the basic recommended hardware settings to run SL. Voice conferencing is available.

Know you IP rights, beware of copy bots. If you can make it, someone can steal it.

A prim is just a prim without textures or scripts. Learn to create your own textures and learn to make a sculpt or mesh. They'll save you money in the long run. Join inworld build classes for more information.

Explore places in SL to be inspired.

Welcome! Take your time getting to know your way around.  There are places that specialize in helping new people get aclimated. I suggest hanging around and chatting with people should be first on your agenda.  NCI or Caledon Uxbridge University are good places to learn.  They have free stuff and class schedules and helpful people.  Have some fun.

Welcome!

I love the phrase "varying things".  :D

There is a lot of great content in there and loads of fun things to do.

My advice?

Explore and create a second life for yourself, not your business.  This is a great place to spend some time, make some friends, create some fun toys, and generally mess about.  This is not a great place to do anything business related.  Things are too unstable and inconsistent, even now.  You will go through all of the hard work and risk and pain to build up something that you are proud of only to watch as the capricious whim of the week wipes everything out.  Don't get me wrong, this place is great... .for what it is... and as long as you don't treat it like what it isn't... you will have a great time.

thanks for your feedback everyone. After tweaking with frustrating graphics settings ( I have a quad core system and a AMD/ATI 6870 1 gig) so should have no problem running this at all, I finally managed to get everything running how it should with only a tiny bit of lag. Being the uber geek I am, I have everything maxed out and I am used to playing games in insane resolutions. 

After shouting "If I can run Deus Ex Human revolution maxed out then why can't I run you!" at my monitor things started to improve. I had the pleasure of encountering a mind numbingly racist guy from new york spouting a load of drivel about Mexicans who I chose to confront. That was interesting. I met one nice lady who helped me out with the basics and this morning I am going to tweek my avatar a bit. 

I can see how really you have to leave your life behind to get the most of your time in second life. I was hoping to make a living selling floating hoverboards. I feel a little disillusioned this morning. :( 

Hello Inspired John. Don't be disillusioned.

I use SL as a tool to advance my skills and enjoy others company. I make stuff and the goal has always been to get SL to pay for itself and that is all.

Take inspiration from being to be able to create things. You can't tell me there will not be a complete metaverse at some stage in the future? I feel there will be a second coming of SL. It stands to reason. Hang in there and enjoy.

InspiredJohn wrote:

After shouting "If I can run Deus Ex Human revolution maxed out then why can't I run you!" at my monitor things started to improve. 

The most important thing to remember about SL performance is that EVERYTHING is custom and has to be downloaded as you move around.  In every game you play - and SL is not a game - and almost every other virtual world you might encounter you pre-install limited content.  Since we, the residents, make and change everything in SL as we please that can't happen here, so there can be long download loads when entering new areas.

Screaming "Why won't you work?"  and a vague sense of disillusionment means that you are fitting in nicely!

It's a lot like jumping into a cold swimming pool.  Once the shock fades and you can breathe you will have a lovely swim.

Don't focus on making a living at first.  Wander around, have fun, meet people.   There are loads of fun things to do. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.