Sign in to follow this  
kurt7D8 Avon

Thoughts on Two SL Gripes? No Undo and Runaway AV's

Sl is a place of great magic and beauty.  Here are two gripes that compromise the SL experience.

Regardless of Viewer, fairly often, when I am walking or flying, I lose input control of my AV.  Off he walks or flies while I watch helplessly. Sometimes, AV snaps back to origninal position.  If I try TP SL crashes and I have a "forced quit."  This is bad news, akin to Win95 BSOD.  Particularly bad news when you are doing work, have a lot of stuff set up, and have to start all over again.

No undo.  I have sculptures, paintings and many decorative objects that I've added to my Villa.  As careful as I try to be, I periodically remove a wall of my house rather than the object on the wall.  Then I have to de-rezz my house, then search with my cursor to delete the 30 or so other items that are now suspended in space, then re-rezz my house and carefully put back 30 objects.  This is seven hours wasted based on one itty bitty delete.

Why is there no undo?  Maybe LL can take up a collection, so they can code one into the viewer . . . 

kurt7D8 Avon wrote:

As careful as I try to be, I periodically remove a wall of my house rather than the object on the wall.  Then I have to de-rezz my house, then search with my cursor to delete the 30 or so other items that are now suspended in space, then re-rezz my house and carefully put back 30 objects.  This is seven hours wasted based on one itty bitty delete.

Why is there no undo?  Maybe LL can take up a collection, so they can code one into the viewer . . . 

The first problem sucks. Don't know of a solution, except to remain in low lag areas. There is a solution to the second problem. The next time you accidentally delete something, find it in your inventory in the trash and choose restore in world and Singularity will put it back where it was. Imprudence and Phoenix have similar features.

That should save you a lot of time. Also, you might try locking your house under the object tab to reduce your chances of accidentally moving it or deleting it.

Randall Ahren wrote:

There is a solution to the second problem. The next time you accidentally delete something, find it in your inventory in the trash and choose restore in world and Singularity will put it back where it was. Imprudence and Phoenix have similar features.

That should save you a lot of time. Also, you might try locking your house under the object tab to reduce your chances of accidentally moving it or deleting it.

oh, bless you. I didn't know this.

Though when I occasionally kill a bit of my house (my partner would laugh her butt off, cause she knows that "occasionally" means "quite a bit, actually") I can usually re-line it up with a bit of effort. Rugs and paintings are huge helps in this regard. :matte-motes-bashful:

LOL....i remember when i built my house, a medi evil cottage, and would go to change the texture on 1 wall, and the whole house would be changed to this texture after sl hiccupped while i was moving the texture. it took me months to finish it as i had to keep retextureing the entire house 7 times. when you take a wall, it will end up in you objects and you should be able to re-rezz it, leave all the stuff hanging in mid air and just position the wall to the stuff, THEN when you are happy with the position, LOCK the walls, floors and roofs in place. that will bring up a default window telling you the object your trying to take is locked. no more muck ups.......................well, a lot less anyhoo.

You beat me to it ;)

Yes, after you adjusted the house so it's just where you want it, you can lock it, it is an option under "Edit". Next time you select the wall instead of your painting, you get a message saying something like "You are editing a locked object, will you continue?"  I don't remember the words, but it is a clear warning.

I discovered this after I selected the house myself, hehe. 

The reason you walk or fly without control is because you have crossed a sim wall in laggy conditions & are waiting to be handed over to the new region, the worse the lag, the longer you can fly off into the sunset. Sometimes you will even crash or end up back where you started with a message saying the handover timed out.  Trying to TP while you are already not on one sim or the other will also crash you, as you have discovered. You may as well just take your fingers off of all the controls until you either hand over successfully & get control back or crash, because banging around on your keyboard will have no effect whatsoever lol

Your second problem has already been answered, the restore option rocks. :)

@Peewee:

Re: the running (flying) AV, thanks for the explanation--the first I've heard that makes sense.  Yes, sometimes you can accomplish more by keeping your hands OFF the keyboard!  It's kind of counter-intuitive.

I just downloaded, installed, and took my first look at Singularity.  WOW!  I haven't started playing yet.  

I see she's staying very close to LL's TOS, which means it'll probably be around for awhile.  I'm going to have to write down her name--a worthy SL resident to send some Lindens.