No Entry Ban Lines. How to turn them off:

Zimrai Aichi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't like HUDs and UIs for the most part anyway. The less the better. So when I started looking for land I noticed everywhere I went their were residents flying their BAN flags next door to me. It's bad enough getting bounced when I go to far to check angles on my house, but looking at a wall of caution tape all day was starting to turn my stomach. So I went into the SL folders and found  a solution:

Go into your Second Life folder. I run Linux so it's saved in My Documents.The full path for where we're going will sound something like this:   /home/YOURNAMEHERE/SecondLife-i686-3.0.0.238864/skins/default/textures/world

In the world folder is a PNG file named NoEntryLines.  Simply open this in an image editor like GIMP, delete the visible layers, and save over the old file (it should automatically keep transparency with the PNG image format).

Next time you load up Second Life you'll have a clear view in all directions. You'll still get a warning pop-up when you bounce into your neighbors' invisible wall, but at least you don't have to listen to those lines screaming "Get off my lawn!"

• 12 years later...

@Mahjee

Not sure if it's relevant or not, but I will add it anyway since we share a travelling group. 

To make it absolutely clear, turning off banlines as has been suggested in this thread, doesn't actually turn them off, it merely stops them from being visible.  You will still run into them if you're out driving and hit a parcel that has ban lines on. 

For mainland travel, especially via road, I would suggest leaving banlines as visible - sure it can be ugly, but its better to see areas you need to avoid rather than suddenly hit them and wonder what the heck just happened.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.