Sign in to follow this  
ellerc

Username and Display Name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Victoria wrote:

I've had the same experience: I used to be first in search, and now I don't seem to be there at all.  I guess LL hasn't worked out all the kinks of this username/display name business.

Even if you search for "Victoria Resident" I don't appear.

That may be related to your profile coming up blank:

https://my.secondlife.com/victoria

Should it? There seems to be a bug right now where some people will fully filled in profiles come up with blank entries when viewed.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Victoria wrote:

I've had the same experience: I used to be first in search, and now I don't seem to be there at all.  I guess LL hasn't worked out all the kinks of this username/display name business.

Even if you search for "Victoria Resident" I don't appear.

That may be related to your profile coming up blank:

Should it? There seems to be a bug right now where some people will fully filled in profiles come up with blank entries when viewed.

No, there is stuff in my profile. I have my privacy settings to "Second Life" so you have to log in to my.secondlife.com to see it on the web.

People do see my profile inworld, too. I know because in the past couple of days people have commented on it.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Reggae wrote:

Victoria wrote:

I have received gifts meant for people whose display name is Victoria, so I know for a fact that display names can mix people up.

With the name 'Reggae' I get an IM every now and then asking about some 'event', 'sale' or 'DJ' schedule.

I got in early on this account, since its an alt and I therefore knew what was coming, and got a meaningful name - so people assume the account is something commercial.

I just happen to be Rastafarian and a lover of Reggae. Rasta was taken, Rastagirl / Rastawoman sound cheesy, Rastafari would be heretical, and Reggae was just right.
;)

For a while I was first in search, then I was pulled from search, and now I'm back to first in search...

I hate it when I go to the grocery after I've just gotten off work, wearing my work clothes, and people ask me where things are because they think I work there.

What's even more sad, is the fact that I've shopped there for so long that I usually do, in fact, know.  But then, there are times I just wanna tell them to bite my ass... afterwards, I imagine them going to the manager to have me fired... lol.

...Dres

Walking through a few stores with a tie on I have been asked if I was the store mgr.  I've always been tempted to reply, "do I look like a sc*mbag." 

Knowing when I signed up that UncommonTruth would be what I was known as forevermore might have affected my choice of username. If people decide to type out that whole mouthful instead of using my much simpler display name, more power to them. I do get referred to as UT quite a bit..still deciding if that's U.T. or yewtee :matte-motes-nerdy:

UncommonTruth wrote:

Knowing when I signed up that UncommonTruth would be what I was known as forevermore might have affected my choice of username. If people decide to type out that whole mouthful instead of using my much simpler display name, more power to them. I do get referred to as UT quite a bit..still deciding if that's U.T. or yewtee :matte-motes-nerdy:

Do they not simply say "hi u"?

Knot

That would depend on who you ask, my 6 yr old would say yes, my dad would say no. Its all relative.

@Knotter- No I don't usually get just "hi u".  I do get the occasional random "hey sexy lips" wich is funny, as that's neither my user or display name.

UncommonTruth wrote:

Knowing when I signed up that UncommonTruth would be what I was known as forevermore might have affected my choice of username. If people decide to type out that whole mouthful instead of using my much simpler display name, more power to them. I do get referred to as
UT
quite a bit..still deciding if that's
U.T.
or
yewtee
:matte-motes-nerdy:

well, they both rhyme with Cutie....maybe we should just call you that.

Sad for those who were not able to select nice User Name, but so the thing works. Linden Lab is also to blame for not giving proper instruction in the account creation page. Well, on the other hand as new User Names don't anymore have last name, selecting a nice Use Name is quite impossible.
Dismissing the last names was a great mistake

Yes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.