Sculptie looks different in world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am making sculpted clothing in blender and when I look at it in blender it looks fine, but as soon as I bake it and upload it to second life, it looks different. Vertacies have moved and it loos "messy". I am using a subsurf modifier but i thought that that would be fine as long as i applied it. I have some images of the prim in blender and the prim in world. If anyone could recognize what is going on it would be appreciated :)

Screen shot 2011-09-10 at 5.18.13 PM.png

The Prim in blender ^

Screen shot 2011-09-10 at 5.20.27 PM.png

The Prim in SL ^

That's pretty much what I would expect.

You might try rotating the map 180 degrees, or just flipping it and then using the inside-out button when you rez it.

If the map is 64x64 or larger, you can also pull it to 128 on one side and squish it down to 32 on one side to push half the resolution onto the other axis.

There are a few tricks, but the total improvement of effect will tend to be very marginal.

If you post or give me the map, I can probably give you a more precise analysis.

One problem was that sculpts loaded at 64x64 only read every alternate line for a 32x32 result.

If you reduce the maps to 32, you won't really lose resolution in the final rez, because that extra data wasn't going to be there anyway. You just have to increase to 64 again. Shrinking somewhat neutralizes the lopsidedness of the data in rez, and re-enlarging puts the neutralized data on 2 sets of lines on each axis, one of which will be read. The result tends to be smoother and more symmetical, assuming a symmetrical effect when viewed at 64x64 or higher resolution.

The sculpting app I'm using puts out at 128x128, so if that looks OK, I usually just load that and put it on the contents tab.

That way, if someone wants to push the resolution on one side or try to get the whole thing just a little smoother, the raw data will be there for them.

Most of my sculpts are not supposed to look symmetrical, though. If they did, I wouldn't be sending them out with 128x128 mapping to be read at every 4th line like a 32x32.

Another problem was the stitching, which you were trying to use as the interior of your toroid. Stitching does not actually curve, and just puts flat bits in-between the edges of the seam of the sculpt. Because of the 32/64 problem, your edges were pretty irregular, and the stitching exacerbated that.

If you do a mirror/copy function of a sculpt map (I prefer downward), it duplicates the sculpt in the same position, but turned inside-out. Both halves will have half the resolution of before on the axis corresponding to the mirror/copy, but if you need to have a coherent contour including both the interior and exterior, this will often be worth the resolution cost, as I believe it was with your sculpt.

When I do this, I usually have a reason to smooth at least one click, but I didn't do that with yours because it was not necessary. With most maps mirrored in this way, a lot of stitching issues can also be eliminated with the proper choice of smoothing function. With yours, it would be best to smooth toward a torus, if at all.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.