Core i3-2310m with Intel HD Graphics 3000

Gail Cooperstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My college roomate wants to try out Second Life. She is on a very tight budget but is looking at getting a laptop computer for school. Will a 15" laptop computer with an Intel Core i3-2310m with Intel HD Graphics 3000 be fast enough to run SL in busy areas at 1366 x 768 resolution at high graphic details at 30 fps or faster?

I have read that the Intel HD Graphics 3000 speed can vary greatly, due to its core frequency being different with different second generation Core i3, i5 an i7 CPU/APUs. I have also read that:

Intel HD Graphics 3000m ~= AMD Radeon HD 6370m ~= nVidia GeForce GT 520m

Given all this information and given the fact that my friend is not running a very large monitor at super high 1920 X 1080 resolution, she only wants to run it at the laptop default 1366 x 768 resolution, will she be able to run Second Life at high graphic details at 30 frames per second or higher?

Hello. With an invidia GT 520m you can run SL with high quality graphics but for sure you need to have lighting and shadows disabled. I am sure about coz one of my laptops have exactly same specs. You will have up to 30 fps when you are in a sim without lag and few avatars but arround 15 when you are in noisy places. Remember that  that in order for an avatar to run smoothly, FPS must always be above 15.  However, setting your graphics quality to medium, your fps will be increased.

A last thing: For me avoid AMD Radeon. Nvidia is better.

I doubt that graphics adapter will run SL at 30 FPS on high settings in a lightly loaded sim.  I'm sure it won't with a heavily loaded sim.  Not many system setups will run SL with that performance with a mid level discrete graphics card...........IGP's (what your roommate has in her computer) are way too weak to keep up (it's asking something of the graphics adapter that it's just not designed or intended to do).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.