Scary Things Happen...IN FIRESTORM

AubreyAngelineStylez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok this is one of my alt accounts im using this one as a main and the other as my finical account

But anyway when i logged into firestorm yesterday i appeared as a white egg shaped ball waited them i turnt invisible

Then ALL BLACK then invisible then it just turns black and says that way even however you wait...

The reason i downloaded firestorm in the first place is so that this wouldnt happen but it did (sigh)

Anyone know how to fix this ?

What version of Firestorm? Details on your computer hardware, especially your graphics card, would be helpful too.

In general I'll say that if you downloaded the Firestorm mesh beta and you have an Nvidia graphics card the best fix is to use the Firestorm 2.5 beta (no mesh) if you want something based on v2.

Some computer specs always help with problems that seem to revolve around graphics problems (which your certainly does).  But ,since you don't think it's necessary, I'll offer the only possible guess I can come up with (it's just a guess but it is something that could be the cause).

You're using, at least, two accounts on the same computer and using the same viewer for both accounts too.  That is a recipe for cache problems.  Log in each account (one at a time).  Go the tab in preferences (I can't tell you were it is in Firestorm since I don't, and have never, used that viewer).  There is a field located next to whatever button your click to "clear your cache"........copy the path shown in that field to the location of the cache on your computer and it's setup (make a note or copy and paste to a text editor such as Word Pad).  Once you get those locations navigate to the locations on your computer and manually delete the entire contents of the final folder listed...........do that for all your accounts.  Then one at a time, log into SL but instead of logging into your normal landing point in SL type the log in location to one of the SL maintained sims (Pooley, Aqua, or Smith are good).  When you arrive at one of those sims just move away from the landing point (so you don't get landed on by arriving avatars), open your inventory and wait for everything to load (if it hasn't started then jump start it by typing, slowly the letters "a, b, c" until it does start.  Then watch the counter to see when it completes the loading (it may take a while but be patient).  Once that has happened then TP back to your normal place and log out to log in the other account..........do the same as before. 

If it's a simple cache problem (which I'm only guessing it is), your problem should be cleared.  One thing you can do to prevent further problems with account cache mixing is to move one of the caches to a differen location on your computer.

This is my alt account btw

I Had unistalled it but im pretty sure it was beta a version i got from their website

Can i have a link to that version you just listed ?

Processor: AMD Athion 64 processor T-F 20 

Graphics:ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics 

Up to 896MB HyperMemory

Memory: 2 GB Memory 

Card Reader : Multi-In-1-card reader

I had problems like yours and with inventory and textures way back when I started using different viewers to access SL. My solution (If I can remeber right it came from the Emerald team) was to create a cache folder on my desktop for each viewer I use. Every upgrade I manually clear that viewers cache (ie delete everything in the folder) before installing the new upgrade. I've had no problem since except when the SL servers hiccup.

Thanks for relpying (is very grateful for people like you guys)

People tell me that TPV's are better than the regular one

Now ik :x Oh and btw i dont use different viewers i used to use V.2.8 until the next version came out and messed me up then had to wait for months but that didnt help atleast thats what i think i dont touch the account i used to get on back then

And what is manually clearing a cache ? is it on the viewer or in your files ?

• 2 weeks later...

Turning black can occur if you are running second life on a secondary monitor. If this is the case, switch second life to the primary monitor.

If you're just running a single monitor, uninstall ALL viewers including the hidden folders in AppData.

Uninstall normally then manually remove the hidden Second Life folders and any other TPV folders in AppData.

Enable Hidden Files & Folders:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open “Folder Options”
3) Open the “View” tab
4) Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press OK and close control panel.

Accessing AppData:

Browse to the path below that corresponds to your operating system:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\

Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ 

Inside the AppData folder:

1) Open the Local folder and delete the entire Second Life and any other TPV folders.

2) Go back one level to the AppData folder.

3) Open the Roaming folder and delete the entire Second Life and any other TPV folders. If you wish to save existing chat files you've had with other avatars, move the Roaming > [avatar name] folder elsewhere on your computer and drag any chat text files you wish to retain into the new Roaming > [avatar name] folder once the viewer is reinstalled and you've logged in at least once. Ignore if you don't want to save any.

4) Restart your computer.

Now download a fresh copy of whatever viewer you wish to use and install it.

Log into the low lag Linden water sim Smith. Wait until your avatar and inventory load. Click the Recent tab to get loading started immediately. If you end up as a white cloud for a long time, there are a number of possible solutions here http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=bake_fail

Make sure you are using a reasonably up-to-date graphics card driver. Catalyst 11.8 is said to be giving a few problems for some so use 11.7 instead or perhaps 11.5, which I use and it seems very stable. The ATI 3200 should work fine in SL but probably with quite a low frame rate as it is an entry level card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.