How do I remove "resident" from my in world name?

ErynnClover2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

You can't.  Your username is ErynnClover2 Resident.  That's as permanent as your Social Security Number in RL.  It can never be changed.  You can change you Display Name once a week, which is what you have already done.  Many people in SL will see that instead, but anyone who chooses to see your username will always see the "Resident" last name.

ETA: In some viewers, you can choose the way names appear in chat or IM, so that you see either usernames, Display Names, or both.  That only affects what you see on your own screen, however, not what someone else sees.  If you sent me a message, for example, I would only see your username, because that's the way I have mine set..

• Like 3

What viewer are you using?  While I hate to disagree with Rolig, I'm afraid she's mistaken about usernames; yours is erinclover2, and mine is innula.zenovka and hers is rolig.loon.   

The "Resident" placeholder was used for a while by viewers that expected everyone to have a last name, but all the major TPVs (and, of course, the official V2) that I'm aware of now know to call you something like "Erynn Clover (erinclover2)" in chat.

The short answer to your question, to my mind, is to use a more up-to-date viewer.   You'll still see "ErinClover2 Resident" in output from older scripts,  because the functions they use, such as llDetectedName(), expect you to have a last name, but there's no need for you to see in chat and IMs.

• Like 1

Thanks, Innula. We're in a transition period during which the technical reality and the experienced reality are quite a bit different for many SL residents. At this point, the number of people using Phoenix outnumbers those using V2/V3, and Firestorm is coming up a close third. I suspect that it won't be long before Firestorm and Phoenix swap places. A substantial number of residents still use 1.23 as well. Out of that crowd, a hefty percentage of people still see "Resident" by default. Although this will change quite rapidly, as you point out, the practical reality is that "Resident" is a common last name across SL today. Even after "Resident" disappears for most people, however, I suspect a large number of us will continue to choose to show usernames instead of display names. Usernames don't change weekly and they are "official" identifiers in business transactions. It's important to know who you are really talking to, especially in a world where we can change our physical appearance radically at the drop of a hat. The underlying identity crisis that LL created by inventing Display Names is not about to go away, so we'll see versions of the OP's question for a long time to come.

Does Phoenix default to showing Old-Style names? I know you can set it to show them, but I thought (and I might be mistaken) that the default is to show the Display Name with the username in parentheses if it's different. Firestorm, I'm sure doesn't use "Resident" by default (and possibly not at all).

The only viewer I can think of, offhand, where an account without a last name appearing as "Resident" can't be fixed with a simple change somewhere in the settings, is 1.23. And, since I thought the OP wanted to stop appearing as "Resident" in her chat and IM windows, she can easily fix that, either by changing her settings, or changing her viewer from 1.23 (to Phoenix, Cool VL, Singularity or, I think, Imprudence, if she wants to stick to the older format).

And I agree about usernames, but username != legacy name. If a scripted object wants her username in an access notecard or something, and she puts in "ErinClover2 Resident" rather than "ErinClover2" it'll break unless the scripter has made specific provisions for precisely this confusion between usernames and legacy names.

I think we're converging, Innula. I agree with all that you're saying, especially as it relates to this particular OP. We see a dozen or more people a week here, though, for whom the "Resident" confusion is quite real, and it's those people that I am thinking about. It's surprising, in this age of "modern" viewers, that we still have a steady stream of people who can't log in to SL because they aren't providing the last name "Resident."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.