Remote Camera

Dars Coffee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to build what is basically a spy satellite. You interact with a computer that you attach to your wrist, which launches a rocket, which then deploys a satellite. Then, I'd like to make it so that, when the owner pushes a certain button on his wrist computer, the view switches over to a camera on the satellite.

I've gotten everything else to work (basically, the computer, rocket, and satellite shout back and forth at each other over a different channel). I have no idea how to make the camera switch work, but before I try to figure it out, is it even possible?  Basically, the satellite is a security camera that (a) doesn't exist until the owner launches it and (b) is accessed via a different object.

I don't know, maybe Void will drop in and answer. I don't script but I do know a little about SL. I was thinking about how a Vehicles and cars change the cameras position when you sit in them. Somewhere the code tells it to do that.

My other thought would change your idea a little, I was thinking that (for myself) it might be easier to teleport to the satellites position and sit on it and then have a look around.

Not a computer Mechanic.

While there are functions that can control the camera position and target (along with some other parameters) in LSL, the big issue here is that regardless of those controls, the draw distance that is set in the users client program will limit the distance that things can be seen from.

So if the draw distance of your client is set to 512m, if the rocket is farther than that from any objects, they won't see anything.  And above a certain height, the ground won't even render, IIRC.  Most clients default to a draw distance of 128 or 256 meters.  So it would have to be a pretty low-flying 'satellite' to work.

If that is what you were considering, then look at the wiki on the function llSetCameraParams() and all the related functions.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.