Sim hacking?

Coffee Biscuit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I understand your question correctly you are asking if someone can take over (hack) a sim owned by someone else.  Yeah, that can happen.  But not by any viewer or HUD since what those programs/scripts have access to are far removed from ownership of anything in SL.  In order for someone to "hack" a sim and take over they must obtain the necessary information from the owner of the sim.  The easiest way for anyone to get that information is to gain access to the owner's account.  That's an imphatic exclamation point on the importance of a strong password and the paronoia attitude about account security.  It's not likely to gain that information by hacking the LL servers.

No, no, sorry If my explanation was faulty.

I mean hacking or crashing a sim with special HUDs or viewers, like those viewers that were used to steal content, but with other options like to incredibly increase the lag of a certain place or make the sim crash.

I know they exist because I've read of them in some forums, but I don't know their names or how to fight them.

A sim of a friend is crashing every time she wants to start an auction... an auction with only 10 assistants in a sim with a capacity of 100 avatars. And that is beginning to feel like a strange coincidence.

I can redirect to a youtube video were a guy shows how he crashes a sim with his own "sim crashers":

Okay..........a very different set of circumstances.  Yeah a sim can be crashed by others.  I can invision a HUD of sorts that runs an enormous number or scripts that can bring a sim to it's knees.  Self replicatiing prims (set to invisible) that can do the same (those can be set by someone without them even being present in the sim).  That's called "Griefing".  It's been a problem since SL opened........it's a problem with any (and all) virtual worlds that allow user content.  I suppose even a viewer can be developed to accomplish the task of griefing (none, of which would be legal according to the ToS). 

The owner of the sim has management tools to fight such griefing.  They need to use them.  They also need to submit "Abuse Reports" when any attempt at taking a sim down is encountered (or ever suspected).  The sim owner can fight (very well) against things like you describe...............and LL will help them on the tougher ones.

That's not "hacking"...........it's "griefing".

Thank you very very much Peggy, for your help, and excuse my lack of knowledge and english vocabulary, it isn't my mother language :matte-motes-bashful:

I'll tell the land owner about that and will do a more exhaustive research about "griefing" and how to fight it.

Thanks a lot! :matte-motes-little-laugh:

Once someone repeatedly crashed one of my sims because he was upset about being banned from a club there.

I complained, as the sim owner, to LL that it kept on crashing and asked them to investigate, and they resolved the matter very quickly and effectively.   They have tools we don't.   

So my advice is to ask the sim owner to get LL onto the case.   In the meantime, turn off rezzing, object entry and running scripts for everyone but group members; while there are ways to get round this, it should stop the more obvious sim-crashing methods.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.