Tinies Win

Mylar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After speaking with a customer who primarily uses a tiny avatar, I went through and made some modifications to my entire line of furniture to accommodate tiny avatars should they decide to resize the items. Most of my stuff is sculpty, but I have one chair that is mesh, and when I resized it to a size more fitting for a tiny avatar it dropped the PE. It looks like tiny avatars are going to be able to fit more mesh stuff on their land than other people. 

So, tinies win xD

• Like 1

Tinies will also win with mesh as ATTACHMENTS.

I came to this realisation while creating mesh footwear (intended to be worn as unrigged AV attachments). Since my footwear is being created in single mesh objects (one per foot), instead of the standard linksets of sculpties and the LL limits on minimum prim sizes, my footwear meshes have a vast scope for sizing up AND down, and can be distorted easily as well (width / height / length). I haven't tried them yet with a tiny AV, but I would assume that with full mod capability, mesh attachments will be a "massive" bonus for tinies (please excuse the pun - I couldn't resist it!).

:smileyvery-happy:

smaller prims is also a bonus I've noticed. One of the adjustments I had to do to my furniture was make the shadow underneath each one bigger, so it would shrink down more. With the mesh chair, it's part of the same object (and only one face, so already infinitely thin), so the chair can be shrunk way down without having to worry about that.

The Prim Equivalence calculation does take into account the object size.

If you've hand-made the different LOD meshes, you might be able to cut the Tiny version's PE even more. Instead of using the full 1-2-3-4 set, you might use 2-2-3-4. The smallest Mesh details could be wasted effort.

Do you put the detail in the Mesh itself, or concentrate on the UV-mapping to allow better use of the texture? It's one of those design choices, and the optimum might come out differently for a Tiny.

Tinies win in a few ways actually.  Being so small they can get away with lower poly meshes for their avatars and still appear quite detailed (after all, who besides the camera zoom whores would notice that your pecs aren't 50 polys and are instead only 4-8 with some baked shadows?).  The folks at polycount could probably have a field day making smaller than normal avatars which would be amazing on SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.