Cyber Bullying

BJayy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do like social networking and I am currently on three sites with BJayy and I had a few experiences with IMVU which I deleted even though I really like 3D chat. I'm wondering if cyber bullying crosses over into SL as it is a virtual world and far from what I would class as a game. has anyone out there had a bad experience with cyber bullying of any kind and what can we do about it?

Yes, I have experienced bullying and I suspect that many other Residents have.

The question you pose presents many challenges to our current global social condition. The Ultimate Survivor television show and other shows that pit one group of people against another to see who can defeat their neighbor and rise to become King of the mountian are excellent examples of where humans learn to bully.

The greatest influence is found in the Parents that have "raised" these people who are bullies. If you try to correct a Parent, they scream in the streets about their "rights". 

I believe that you should narrow the focus of your inquiry and attempt to isolate individuals factors for discussion that lead to or develop bullying behaviors.  

In Membership in SL, a Resident may file an Abuse Report or contact Support if you're being harassed.   

BJayy wrote:

If I 'WANTED' to be bullied I wouldn't have posted this question.

Forgive jjccc; he has currently many issues, and they are valid to your forum thread.

The "welcome" areas that jjccc refers to - along with public sandboxes - do seem to attract quite a lot of bully types.  If you go there and set your preferences to hear "voice" it can be overwhelming with the sound of people swearing and calling other people abusive names, and attempting to physically bully another avatar.

This might seem rather crazy in a virtual world full of cartoon people.

Bullies exist everywhere, but on the internet it would seem anonymity can promote this; people making accounts with aliases (not just on Second Life I hasten to add).

In Second Life, as others have stated in this thread, we don't have to put up with it. A bully can be ignored by using the block/mute button.  If the bully has taken to stalking someone, and harrassing them in other ways, ie by contacting other members of a group that you might be in, then an Abuse Report can be submitted to Linden Lab, and in spite of what jjccc believes, LL DO act on these. 

BJayy, just by

posting in these

forums you have

invited

responses which may not

accord with your own

opinions and if you consider online

disagreement as

cyberbullying then to avoid

disappointment you might do

well to consider not

participating here further.

apparently im a cyber bully! :) well ive been accused of it on twitter at any rate, but that sap is a cyber stalker so i call it even. 

i suppose creating a thread here in the forums that was really a werd for werd butt hurt twitter quote from my "vic" just means im mean! :)

(Have you ever been cyberstalked online? Did you stop it? How?)

BJayy wrote:

What about in social networking situations? I've asked basic questions in forums only to have people post abuse and nasty comments in opposed to a resolve or an answer.

Were any of those

responses focused on how your

posts devolve into

incoherent nonsense?

PS Are you related to

rotpaulette/tout by any chance?

BJayy,

I'll preface by saying that I don't condone bullying at all and you certainly have the right to do whatever you choose with your SL. However, people who are inclined to hassle others in the first place, are bound to be easily triggered by your username. You've stated in other posts why you use it, and I get that, but unless you've invested a lot of money in your account, changing it to something more neutral might make you less of a magnet for jerks.

• 2 months later...

2 life got some bullys owners and people some rooms are rude and  curesing there chilen i hear them on  the othere end  the voices i not trying be a 2life a hole but i was having no trubles othere rooms just a hand full are jurks witch i be banned be cause i said somthing 2 lift did to long timeago bashing people nothere thing thay do i was going report them i wold get banned if i do  why 2lift need new management. how are people  spout too respick  fun 2 life when thay favor othere no far  durty i think >> i better stop saying anything ill be banned by 2life no reason like all was

Its not really much of a problem inworld or in these forums - and when it occurs is usually quickly dealt with.

Of course as I type this I'm standing in Isabel infohub which is currently being hit with XXX-particle spam griefing... but that's unusual for the most part.

As long as you avoid third party forums that are not regulated by the lindens, problems can usually be taken care of quickly.

Sometimes heated arguments pop up in here, but for the most part discussion is civil.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.