All the World's a Stage....

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What does the quote "All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players." mean to you in rl/in sl?

Does this mean the stage is already set for us, as in "the stages" of life?  Does it mean we put on faces and masquerade as happy even when we are not?  Does it mean we play humorous and goofy, even when we are crying on the inside, and have mostly superficial relationships because it's easier than dealing with the harsh realities of life, such as death?  Does it mean we always have to put on a happy face to make other's happy?  Does it mean anything/does it mean nothing at all to you?

Thanks for replies. 

It means....

absolutely nothing at all since all that's created is essencially destroyed. 

The only thing affective in this world would seem the 'police' since they're the only ones who give the judgement to the person if one is done wrong or not.  Put on a happy face?  After you've been through hell and back and knowing what you did wrong?  Well, Lets just leave the police up to that shall we? 

You mean the stage is conducted by the "law"?  Well, laws are different in every country, and every "society" throughout the history of man.

"Laws" are always changing.  Besides, no one is perfect.  Not one.  Not even the 'police'.  They are not perfect either. 

So, I don't understand your point. 

Oh, it's you.  Well, yeah, you are adorable my friend and very kind. 

Thanks for being there today, IF this is "you". 

I have experienced a death in the family and this, I believe, may be one of my friends.  A dear friend.

There was no wrong-doing in this matter on the doctor's or other's parts that I can see.  She will rest in peace with the Angels, I believe. 

ty. 

A wonderfully enlightening topic, it shows that you have character. :smileywink:

All the world's a stage because humans have the ability to manifest their own reality. It has been said many ways, you bring about what you think about or you become what you think about most often. This is why people should choose wisely as to what they wish for.

Each of us has the opportunity to be a lead character in the play of life or to be a character with one scene in one chapter.

Humor and goofiness are good when the spirit behind it is good.

The truth will set you free. :matte-motes-grin:

Oh, i probably have it wrong but i always read that line to be about Fate. 

It doesn't say we are "players"...    Rather, it states that we are "merely players".  It's as if we're reading from a pre-written script.  We don't know the outcome but the stage is set, the ending already written.   Life itself is a fait accompli.  All we can do is read our parts.

Depressing, isn't it?  :matte-motes-bored:

ETA:  Since you asked about SL, i confirm that i write my own script from start to finish.  That's the big difference.  RL sucks;  I have A LOT more control about how my SL pans out.

Thank you, Canoro. 

I think it's hard to pretend sometimes that we are happy when someone who we love dies, but for some reason it seems like we try to do our best at keeping it together for other people. 

@ Knowl, yes, being goofy can be lots of fun and be a great help to getting through the hardships of life.  But, sometimes lately, I just don't feel like being happy.  I feel like going to a crying sim rather than bother my friends whether rl or sl.  I guess what I'm going through is just called a little time out or perhaps it's just mourning time for awhile. 

As far as "all the world's a stage"... I think it is referring to the "stages" of life, from infancy to old age and death, and all the roles inbetween that we as character's "play" whether as daughter, sister, friend, spouse, parent, grandparent, etc. 

ETA:  At Bree, I really like your answer very much.  What you said Bree has given me a great deal of food for thought.  It was a very deep answer.  Thanks for sharing that, Bree. 

All the other answers are very interesting, too.

@ Blot, LOL!  Well, Tom Cruise makes big money on "the stage" because he is play acting about other's lives and their life circumstances.  Although Tom Cruise has his own "stage" and parts to play in his own life, as we all do. 

It's interesting to note, speaking of 'stages', there are many stages of the grief process... it takes time to play them all out and work through these stages of grieving. 

Jaques:

All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players;

They have their exits and their entrances,

And one man in his time plays many parts,

His acts being seven ages.

Or if you Prefer:

Macbeth:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

Then of course there is:

Puck:

If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended:

That you have but slumbered here,

While these visions did appear;

And this weak and idle theme,

No more yielding but a dream,

Gentles, do not reprehend.

If you pardon, we will mend.

Midsummer nights dream Act 5 Scene 1 Epilogue

All these Shakespearean musings on the relative unreality of life are not unlike the Japanese assertion that "All of this life is but a dream"

SL, perhaps  is not entirely unlike RL in (as more learned minds than mine have asserted) it's lack of any real weight or import, and Like RL we tend to attach far too much importance to personal drama that in the end is completely without signifigance to the movements of the universe at large.

In short,, Lighten Up and Enjoy :)

Angel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.