Roleplay problem and need advice

pokeguy2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so I am an active roleplayer and have a bit of a dilemma. I roleplay as a girl (im a boy by the way) but my user name sounds like a boy and it is very misleading for my fellow roleplayers. I want to change it but I know I cant. Ive been thinking of starting a new account with a different username but im part of a group that is a closed enrolement and I would hate to lose it. Also I would lose all my friends. What do you suggest I do?

You can change your display name, which you can do through your SL profile, either in-world or on the web site. If you do it through the web site, just type your name into the search box, and your profile should appear. Click on it, and you'll see the option to edit your profile. Click on that, and you'll see that there's a section that allows you to change your display name. In-world... I'm not quite sure, as I'm actually posting through the web site, and I'm not actually in-world. But I doubt it's that much different.

I do have a display name I just want my username changed because its confusing for people because my display name is a girls name but my username sounds like a boys name. Does linden labs by any chance have an email so I could ask them to change my username?

I would recommend informing your Friends that you are planning on creating a new SL account and let them know the name of your new Avatar before you create the new account. You could send them Notecards so they will have a record.

Do the same for the Group by contacting the manager/founder in advance.

Provided you don't have a lot of items on your account that you don't want to lose, I would IM your friends and inform them that you're starting a new account. Choose a name that suits you and yoru roleplay better, and tell all your friends about it using your original account. THEN you can send them friend requests, and they'll know it's you.

Also, you can IM the owner of the closed enrollment group, and tell him/her the same thing - you're changing your name, this is what it will be. Ask them to send you a group invite on that account.

It's probably a good idea to create the account BEFORE you tell everyone, that way you have a name to give them for the new account.

If you do have items you want on the new account that you can't transfer and don't want to rebuy, you may have to settle for a feminine display name.

You could use an overhead titler (an attachement displaying the name you want over your head) and a RP tool (a HUD relaying what you type in a channel, like /2, and displaying your quote with the name you choosed)

In role-playing, your avatar name is not necessary your character name. Maybe your community is not used to thise tools (evenif they're common in others). You may try them anyway as it can help other players to lift the confusion.

People using your user name rather than your display name is a product of people being too visual. If making a new account is out of the question you may want to try being more forward. Send people a message saying "My character's name is my display name, please use that"or make a profile pick that makes the statement. If you end up feeling that an account change is needed (although getting names is really a chore with the new system) you could always just talk within the group and make it known that you'll be changing, as stated by others.

It would be wonderful if people would acknowledge display name changes. 

Pregnant Mavin.jpg

I wish I knew a good solution to the problem.  When I morph into Marvin I want to completely be Marvin.  I don't want people thinking this is "Perrie" playing "Marvin."  I become Marvin.  So I do understand your concern.  What people have suggested about creating a new account may be your best solution.

I do go by user name versus display names because it can get nuts keeping track of who is who.

Now if only my baby would come.  I am so tired of my back hurting all the time and constantly needing to pee.

There is no elegant solution. As a role player people, well, assume that you are playing/writing a role. Especially since you are not the person that holds the intellectual property. So either use a titler or use display names. Honestly, you should treat people with the same consideration you would like to be treated with. When in doubt: IM the person and ask which name to call them by; however, if you want people to use your display name you should use theirs (unless it is written in uninteligble ascii, those people are best ignored--they don't have names, just bad fashion sense).

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.