I just got a new laptop with an AMD HD Radeon 6770m and it gives me an error at log in

Ryan007 Carter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The notebook may be new, the driver may not be.

Does your laptop manufacturer appear on this AMD page?  

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

If so, click the link for it and check if a newer driver is available on the manufacturer's website.

Let us know how you get on. Use Options > Edit to add comments.

The 5770 works very well with SL and highly recommended in Kirstens viewer graphics card tests so I'm sure the 6770 should too.

4 answers to this question

The notebook may be new, the driver may not be.

Does your laptop manufacturer appear on this AMD page?  

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

If so, click the link for it and check if a newer driver is available on the manufacturer's website.

Let us know how you get on. Use Options > Edit to add comments.

The 5770 works very well with SL and highly recommended in Kirstens viewer graphics card tests so I'm sure the 6770 should too.

Hello Ryan and welcome to SL Forums. A quick answer is: update your graphics card drivers using the official AMD page. On the other hand, as i know there are some problems with the update of  Radeon 6770m. While you download the new driver you get an error message that the card is not supported by the driver. You will resolve the problem if you try to download the new drivers by your laptop's brand web page. Some Brands will only work with the drivers the computer manufacturer post on their support page.

Let us know if you fixed your  problem or you need more help.

Good luck.

Ryan, it just struck me and I should have thought of this earlier...does your notebook have switchable graphics? If so, I wonder if it's using the integrated graphics and not the discrete card as really even an older driver for the 6770 should get you into SL. There have been a few threads on notebooks with switchable graphics not automatically switching to the discrete card on accessing SL and you may have to check this and set a graphics profile up for SL. Also, most notebooks with switchable graphics will not use the discrete card while on battery power, they must be plugged into the mains.

Use Options > Edit to add comments to your original post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.