FREEBIES

robnufc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most are.

My freebie words of caution are to not collect too many items at once. Select some objects, visit a sandbox, see what you have, what you like and discard (delete) the rest. Save any instructional Notecards and delete the empty boxes.

Create an Inventory folder and place all your textures (example) in one folder.

You can follow the Shopping link near the top of this page to Market Place and browse free items or using Search Inworld you can visit Freebie Stores, my favorite is Freebie Heaven.

Finding Sandboxes can be done by opening the Inworld Map and type the word Sandbox into the entry field.

A link with a List of Sandboxes and info about Sandboxes.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Building-tips/ta-p/700041#Section_.4

In my experience there are only a few freebies that are actively hazardous. The first is any sort of item that is unlinked and that comes in ten thousand pieces (these show up as broken cubes rather than orange cubes). The second is any freebie that is a huge number of prims, to the point where you cant put it down anywhere or it fills your whole linden home even though its a chair.

Even so, its very rare to run into a troublesome freebie and so long as you open them up in a sandbox that sweeps every so often, then you shouldnt have any problems. A few may have adverts in, which sucks, but you can spot those pretty quickly.

It is also a lot of stolen items that are passed around as freebies. If someone gives you a folder that contains many skins and hairs, beware! Especially if it looks like it's good quality.

Freebies that is set out as gifts in stores and in hunts should be safe enough. Also the Marketplace... but it has been some stolen things up there aswell. You can not worry too much about that, it is really LL's job to clean out the marketplace for stolen items, IMHO. If a freebie has been listed on the Marketplace a long time, then it should be OK.

My first Christmas in SL 2006.I was so proud of my new land and was putting out out some decorations.

I was new and times were hard so I used a Linden snow tree. I thought the tree needed a star at the top so I checked to see what I had.Sure enough I saw an object in my inventory "bright Star".

I rezzed it on the top of the tree only to find it was a rotating Sun,no problem.When I cammed back I noticed planets in orbit rotating around it.I had rezzed a copy of our solar system all unlinked and in scale.

It took me hours to delete it all,Pluto was like a bloody pin head. Since then all unknown objects are rezzed in a sandbox LOL.:smileysurprised:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.