Question on Using Wands in RP?

amarock Amat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am curouis, when it comes to magic rp and such, how folks view or value wands. Do you find it useful for a setting to caste spell's and your gobbly **bleep** fun, or do you find it rather cliche and just wave your hands about like some elemental bender from avatar while doing you mystical words..

So am sorta looking for folks opnoins on the Do's and Don'ts of why or why not you use a wand for your mystical rp

Amarock, I'm surprised a question about magic wands went ten hours without attracting a swarm of double entendres. With that out of the way, I'll say that in a world constructed from the unorganized imaginations of the masses, there isn't likely to be a rulebook for this sort of thing.

I don't suppose I do the sort of RP you're imagining, but I don't think I'd want to store my mystical powers in something I'm liable to lock in the car with my keys when I go shopping. I also don't want people thinking that I need a crutch, though a wand might make a good one, particularly if it is all sparkly and blinky at the top. I'm less likely to be run down by a teen witch texting while driving if I'm a veritible fireworks display crossing the street.

If you wish to be truly mysterious, you needn't any tools at all. Plenty of unexplained things happen during the course of any typical hour in-world. This is guaranteed by the overall mysteriousness of SL itself, which is (I think) largely the result of coding under the influence of pizza and root-beer at 3AM. When these mysterious things happen, take credit for them, but with humility.

I hope others drop by to offer their views. If they don't, I'll change mine completely and post again later.

Okay, I'll offer a different view!

Try going to an RP sim that interests you and simply observe the nature of their RP. You may find that equipment is less important than the conversational style. I've seen fast banter RP and wall of text RP, where posts take minutes to construct. Each style has adherents and I wouldn't be surprised if the use of wands or the like is affected by that conversational style. And if wands are important, would animations be important too?

In the time I've spent roleplaying in medieval fantasy sims, I honestly can't remember players employing wands.  That is not to say that you can't or shouldn't, but it's just another item to attach and fumble around with.  I've mostly seen players just use their hands when summoning forth spells.  Of course, certain roleplay sims (maybe of a Harry Potter variety) might require wands in order to utilize spells.  I really don't know.  Best to read the rules of the sim and observe roleplay first, but if you are in a free form sim, it wouldn't seem to matter either way. 

• 2 months later...

Wow, old post with few replies. In the RP that I play with my alt, there are some loose rules about where magic comes from and how it's used. One option is for your magic to come from or be strengthened by an artifact or talisman, and a wand definitely counts. They don't allow Spellfire or other wand/HUD setups that shoot glowy stuff or actually hit/push other players.

I can see myself getting a "casting" animation stance and using a wand in RP, but in this particular sim it's not required.  Magic RP there is based on written description and it may or may not be accentuated by animations and props.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.