3000 to 8000 frames per second possible in this Viewer. Explanation?

CodySlater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently a player took a screen shot, and the frames per second were 4500.  The person does not have a super computer either, quite the opposite.  What jumped out at me was the bandwidth that was actually being used was 3700kbps.  It was monstruous.  The player explained that to get these exceedingly elevated frames per second and high bandwidth one must create a proxy just for SL and make SL one's principle process.  The player explained that by doing so, SL used huge bandwidth.  In addition, the player also said the Viewer would only render textures from the SL library.  This is so extreme as far as frames per second and bandwidth that I wanted to ask and see what, if any, benefits this player has, and how to do this.  At times I play in games in Second Life where elevated frames per second help tremendously.  I see that anything about 50 or so does not make that much of a difference, but a lot of people get only 5 - 10 frames per second and they have difficulties.  Does anyone have an explanation to this idea of a Proxy to Second Life only and the whys and hows of these extreme numbers (fps and bandwidth)?

I find such claims very hard to believe.  More than likely it's a bug in the FPS calculation rather than real world performance.  If such a tweak were possible, they could sell a TPV incorporating it and make lots of cash even at 10$ a pop. 

And even if that worked, your LCD only updates at 60 hz, and the sim state only updates at 45 hz.  In a word, pointless.  Tweaking the computer to get 400FPS in a game and then watching it on a 60hz LCD monitor has always struck me as odd. 

Have him tell the tweak here and see if others can duplicate and improve on teh results.  If there's a way to get the performance up without hammering the network, better viewers can come of it.  But I'm dubious that this is anything but a glitch in the FPS calculations.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

The GIMP.  "Pics or it didn't happen" isn't proof positive in an age where any idiot can download photo manipulation software for free.

And definitive proof of that little factoid simply fell into your lap. Is that it? We're supposed to just believe that?

Pics or it didn't happen! :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.