What is wrong with this picture? - Newbie Avatars

Chronometria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SLnewbiescrn.png

I was following the JIRA on surnames when i saw a comment by Timo Gufler about the newbie avatars. He noted that there was only one male human on offer.....one.....and two female humans. Rightly he asked if second names were a priority when it seemed that LL had turned away from actually having human avatars at all. I really do not know what the newbie welcome areas look like right now.

I love steampunk.....but actually having a tiny airship as an avatar - wait what?

Fair point, i went back and poked around through the different options and it does seem that the larger selection of human avatars is still there, though the default page is to offer the selection in the picture.

So it seems that the sky isnt falling in after all, as i was led to believe. I am still fairly puzzled by the avatars on offer though. How is someone supposed to learn the basics of second life when they are a car or an airship?

The robots, the rabbit, they are all humanoid at least. It's also very strange that this selection is offered as the default and not the human one.

I would like to register a complaint that there are not any sheep avatars on the newbie page (they are actually found in world, i bought one,) but usually i am a white rabbit, or a fox,  a snake avatar is amusing, i bought one of those too lol

(the 4 legged horse (not biped)  avatars i have seen are pretty cool also)

Chronometria wrote:

Fair point, i went back and poked around through the different options and it does seem that the larger selection of human avatars is still there, though the default page is to offer the selection in the picture.

So it seems that the sky isnt falling in after all, as i was led to believe. I am still fairly puzzled by the avatars on offer though. How is someone supposed to learn the basics of second life when they are a car or an airship?

The robots, the rabbit, they are all humanoid at least. It's also very strange that this selection is offered as the default and not the human one.

I think it must be random because I get the human page as soon as I log in. Or is it your browser having a crush on bunnies and dogs? :smileywink:

Yeah, I hear you. It would be odd I think to start off as a car. The only reason I can think of that being the default page is to show the diverse variety of options available, I know many non human residents were unhappy that only human avatars were offered as beginning choices. These new avatars seem to have tried to take all ~37 species into consideration. Except for the sheep, the man keeps holding them down. The fact that there are only male or females available will I am sure be brought up sooner or later.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Lynda Klossovsky wrote:

I would like to register a complaint that there are not any ...

All these are machines or from the animal kingdom, where are the plants!  Most newbies are vegetables, although a few manage to be fruity :-)

What no hippos? All this talk about hippos and not even a single hippo avatar???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.