I got a problem DNS could not resolve host name what do i do about this i really want to play the ga

neice1488304396

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Dunno about playing, but you ought to be able to get in world.  Try rebooting your modem and router to see if that helps.  Unplug both of them for a couple of minutes and go out for coffee.  When you get back, plug them in again.  That should clear them and give them a chance to get a fresh bite at an IP address.

If that doesn't work, try clearing your cache manually. With Second Life closed, go to the appropriate pathway and delete all the files inside the "cache" folder.

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SecondLife\cache
Windows Vista - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cache
Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\cache
Windows 7 - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\Cache AND
Windows 7 - C:\Users\\AppData\Local\SecondLife\ (Viewer version 1.23.5 (136262))
Mac - /Users//Library/Caches/SecondLife
Linux - ~/.secondlife/cache

If things are STILL messed up, contact your ISP. Maybe they are working on their Internet connections. Mine go down for about 20 minutes once a month or so while they are vacuuming dust out of their servers, or whatever they do.

Mac users sometimes have their own special DNS problem, too. See https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627 and consider adding your vote. Meanwhile see the solution here: http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/.

Basically, it amounts to adding the following additional DNS servers to your DNS settings in Network settings under System Preferences:

Actually, rebooting the router works a lot of the time. Low-budget routers especially don't seem to get a solid lock on an IP address, so rebooting helps. You may be right about viewer cache, however -- clearing the computer's DNS cache is a better bet -- but it seems to help in enough cases that it is part of everyone's toolkit. I suspect that at least some of the problems that kick up a DNS error from LL are not really DNS problems at all, which is why some non-intuitive solutions work.

Rebooting isn't a fix, it's a band-aid, and one that should be investigated to find the root cause; or simply use a DNS server that isn't your router (though ultimately, you should probably upgrade such a router to something with far more RAM). Though if you have to clear the computer's DNS cache, your computer has deeper issues that you should investigate.

Band-aid or not, it provides an immediate solution for some people, and apparently one that is enough, especially if whatever caused the problem was transient. We rarely have more than one shot at addressing a question here -- there's almost no dialog -- so sometimes band-aid triage is the best answer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.