Sign in to follow this  
Sylhouette Rojyo

Has Linden Labs lost it's mind, or is Viewer 3 simply a sign Second Life is dying?

Look, I've been in SL for a while -- there are people who've been there longer, but I've been paying premium for more than a few months.

It's not the actual changing the user interface piece that I have a problem with.  If you want to make the client look/work like a modern web browser like Chrome or Internet Explorer, that's a really great idea.  If you want to use icons or icons+words for functions, I don't have a problem with that.

Now in Viewer 3's defense -- it is better than Viewer 2.  I'll give it that much.  Once I put on advanced mode, it didn't suck to use nearly as much as Viewer 2 does.  I'm reserving judgement on how horrible it is in advanced mode, aside from to say that it didn't make me want to pull all my hair out the moment I tried to use it for anything, and Viewer 2 very much has that effect.

However, in basic mode:

* Search isn't available (for the love of God, it's the single most commmonly used function in Second Life)

* Inventory isn't available (... and IMs are still capped absurdly low)

* Avatar customization isn't available (... seriously?  You guys buy the freaking ad words "Avatar customization" on Google, and you're going to turn that off unless someone picks advnaced mode?)

* Teleport Home isn't available (seriously?)

* Creating landmarks isn't available (?!!)

* Rebaking textures isn't available, yet it still manages to get stuck in cloud mode...

No problem, lets turn the features back on!  Oh, so that takes quiting SL -- then starting the client again.  Then changing the setting to advanced.  Then quitting again.  Then starting the client again, and only then does the functionality become available.

So I'm not at all sure who is making this decision, but really, it's just like taking an artillary gun on a battle cruiser and shooting the SL platform repeatedly in the face 100 times with it.

Oh and incidentally, the back button -- it won't ever do what someone is wanting it to.

Just saying, it's never going to work the way that people are going to think that it should, and so probably you're better off using some other approach.

yes, there have been a billion complaints that basic mode (in either V2 or V3) is uterly useless for anything other than walking around like a duck.

hmmmm I really don't understand your problems. I use viewer 3 in newest update since it's online and I don't have any issues with it - it works perfect.

- search is working

- Inverntory is working

- TP Home is working

- Creating LMs is working

- Rebake textures is working

Everythings working okay, of course in advanced mode too! I think most of residents use the advanced mode cause basic is very new.

Maybe you should try to reinstall the viewer, I hope it will work better after it.

Or you can try a different viewer from the third party list (like firestorm):

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Viewer 3 is the newest version of the sl-vieweres and i guess in the moment the only viewer which has all new feautures included (lights and shadows, depth of field and mesh).

Basic mode was the brain child of someone at Linden Lab who was under the assumption that Viewer use in SL was too complicated for many new comers. Somehow, they sold the idea to the "power that be" at LL that was responsible for such things, and thus the basic viewer was born.

Basic viewer became a basic bore for most new comers, and it did nothing to improve retention rates, and probably made them sink even more. Even though the Lab has received masses of complaints about the basic viewer, it will not budge on this issue, because this is Linden Lab we are talking about. It knows best, and the customers are just a bunch of whiny poops who need not be listened to.

Yoki Enoch wrote:

Basic mode was the brain child of someone at Linden Lab who was under the assumption that Viewer use in SL was too complicated for many new comers. Somehow, they sold the idea to the "power that be" at LL that was responsible for such things, and thus the basic viewer was born.

I don't know who came up with it, but if you read back a number of months, there was a pretty long thread that suggested this idea.  I think it even suggested 3 modes (one was optimized for building if I remember right).  It was a pretty well-accepted idea.

It's actually quite a good idea, just not well implemented.  Yes, it is too simple, there isn't enough there.  Several very important things were left out, as mentioned above.  But the basic idea is good.

I have been a V1 viewer user because I haven't liked the newer viewers, but with the mesh rollout I decided I needed to step up and get used to the new V3 viewer.  I'm getting used to it, it's not horrible, but things are still a little hard to do.  The first time I tried to get in and change my shape, it took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how.  Some of the inventory controls are wonky (right-clicking on a landmark will give you different options depending on which view you used to get to it).  Some of my settings don't save when the client gets updated.  And on and on and on...

It will get better, I'm sure.  Eventually.  Rather than just whining about it, let LL know what's wrong, give them a chance to improve things (something I'm still guilty of).

you are not required to use the official viewer to log in world.

Linden Lab let us choose how we prefer to experience Second Life by allowing third party viewers.

if you find a third party viewer that you like, feel free to use that one.

Lastarls Ireto wrote:

Yoki Enoch wrote:

I don't know who came up with it, but if you read back a number of months, there was a pretty long thread that suggested this idea.  I think it even suggested 3 modes (one was optimized for building if I remember right).  It was a pretty well-accepted idea.

It's actually quite a good idea, just not well implemented.  Yes, it is too simple, there isn't enough there.  Several very important things were left out, as mentioned above.  But the basic idea is good.

I have been a V1 viewer user because I haven't liked the newer viewers, but with the mesh rollout I decided I needed to step up and get used to the new V3 viewer.  I'm getting used to it, it's not horrible, but things are still a little hard to do.  The first time I tried to get in and change my shape, it took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how.  Some of the inventory controls are wonky (right-clicking on a landmark will give you different options depending on which view you used to get to it).  Some of my settings don't save when the client gets updated.  And on and on and on...

It will get better, I'm sure.  Eventually.  Rather than just whining about it, let LL know what's wrong, give them a chance to improve things (something I'm still guilty of).

If there was any problem newbies were having, it would be with the user interface with Viewer 2. Dumbing down the Viewer to make it essentially useless, was a terrible idea. I do hope that such an idea was not suggested by a resident of SL. It would be hard to believe that any resident in SL would be that dumb, but then again, the people here always surprise me.

I have started using Firestorm and find that it is intuitive, easy to use, and is actually a great viewer. I tried Viewer 2 three times last year and found it to be terrible, each and every time. Why is it that TPVs can be made correctly but Linden Lab can not make a half decent viewer? After doing some independent research on viewer use, it appears that only about 25% of SL residents use Viewer 2/3, and the rest mostly use either Phoenix, Firestorm or Viewer 1. Hello Linden Lab!