Recouping money unfairly deducted

Athena Siamendes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sorry to say but Linden Labs took the money out of your account because in joining the group you "agreed"-- most likely by not reading the fine print-- to share the burden. So by joining the group and staying in the group (you could have checked and left) you did "consent". This may seem unfair, but now you know. Most groups have no fees at all. I have belonged to many and none took money from their members. Always good to check though and watch your transaction history to see if anything turns up. And while linden lab took the money, the GROUP OWNER made the choice to have members pay in so I can't see that it is The Labs fault. Waving your fist at the group owner would be more appropriate.

The "best" thing you can do assuming you do not want to buy lindens as that doesn't seem to be an option from your post, is to find a way to earn a few. There are still camping spots around. They pay very little but would hopefully get you back into the black and you could buy free items. There are trivia games where you can earn a linden per correct answer and that is actually fairly fun. So do a search and find some "employment" :D

Since you were ejected, you don't have to worry about more money being taken out. I would check your other groups though.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Sorry to say but Linden Labs took the money out of your account because in joining the group you "agreed"-- most likely by not reading the fine print-- to share the burden. So by joining the group and staying in the group (you could have checked and left) you did "consent". This may seem unfair, but now you know. Most groups have no fees at all. I have belonged to many and none took money from their members. Always good to check though and watch your transaction history to see if anything turns up. And while linden lab took the money, the GROUP OWNER made the choice to have members pay in so I can't see that it is The Labs fault. Waving your fist at the group owner would be more appropriate.

The "best" thing you can do assuming you do not want to buy lindens as that doesn't seem to be an option from your post, is to find a way to earn a few. There are still camping spots around. They pay very little but would hopefully get you back into the black and you could buy free items. There are trivia games where you can earn a linden per correct answer and that is actually fairly fun. So do a search and find some "employment" :D

Since you were ejected, you don't have to worry about more money being taken out. I would check your other groups though.

• Like 1

That's truly unfortunate.  I wish it didn't happen as often as it does.  Most people, like you, don't read the "fine print" when they join a group, so they don't understand that the role they have accepted carries a liability.  The problem truly isn't the group owner's fault, or at least not all the group owner's fault.  When you set up a new group, the default is for all group members to share in any liabilities, so a group owner has to take the initiative to change that requirement for any roles that s/he wants exempted.  Experienced group owners usually do just that, making it so that liabilities are shared only by the group owners and managers. It's very easy to forget, though.

Anyway... the bottom line is that you did automatically accept that liability when you accepted group membership, whether you read it or not, so LL has been deducting small amounts each time they have come due.  The accounting system won't allow more than a very tiny negative balance, so you're probably not in arrears by more than a few pennies (and of course, you're out all those amounts that were deducted).  The easiest solution, I'm afraid, is to curse loudly and deposit a dollar's worth of Lindens (about L$250) into your account.  Chalk it up to experience.  Sorry.

• Like 1

Better notice should be given when joining a Group which shares the Group's Liability with all Members.

The Group Fee is for having the Group and it's name showing in search, to enable shared abilities and use, to conduct business or sales.

The Group owes you the L$, not LL.

I've formed many Groups over the years and I've never shared the Liability, doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I would call them my groups, I should pay for them.

How many L$ have you lost?

If you are Athena Siamendes Inworld, I can send you a few L$.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.