Sign in to follow this  
Isolde Spitteler

Shop vendors want me to grant debit permissions?

I'm setting up a shop with some third part vendors and all of them ask me to grant debit permissions but does anyone know exactly what is that about? could it take unouthorized Lindens from me and swap my account? can I trust it? 

Only you can decide if you trust it or not. For my rezzer/vendors I always have to grant those permissions, because when customers pay the vendor, the vendor then has to pay me, so it is not unusual for vendors to ask that.

If you are using a system from a reputable company that are commonly used then it should be fine, but if you want to double check you can always ask someone else that you see using the same ones to make sure & put your mind at rest.

granting debit permissions is standard for scripted vendors in order to pay you money every time that vendor makes a sale you need to make up your own mind if you think the vendors you are using are safe or not, i've been using bright vendors and Abvendors as my scripted vendors for a long time and occasionally hippovend if i've rezzed an affiliate vendor i've never found them to steal my money just do as advertised but some malicious scripters could create a script that could be scripted to steal

I'm afraid the other two are being unintentionally misleading :-(

You DO NOT need to grant vendors debit permission so that they can pay you.  Objects can never hold money in SL, only avatars and, for short periods, groups.  When someone pays a vendor (or tip jar or any other object) the money IMMEDIATELY goes to the owner's account.

Debit permission, as the name implies, is ONLY required so that a scritped-object can DEBIT (take money from) your account.  99% of commercial systems do this so that they can refund customers who have paid invalid or incorrect amounts.  That is, for instance, someone pays L$9999 for something that should cost L$999 (auto-repeat can be a terrible thing for non-typists, lol!).

The well-known vendor systems are perfectly safe with debit permission, as the others have said.  Once granted permission, however, a script can take all your money and keep coming back to check if you've got any more.  So don't grant permission to anything you are unsure of.  Personally, all my vendors just IM me when there is an incorrect payment and tell the customer to contact me for a refund (or to pay the residual amount in the case of an under-payment).  That's fine if you have limited sales, of course, but if you have hundreds of mis-pays per day it's worth the machines doing it for you.

In cases where people have MANY sales the best system uses a bot (scripted avatar) as the owner of the vendors.  This, as an avatar, is paid immediately on each transaction.  Once it exceeds a 'float' account-balance to cover genuine refunds it transfers the rest of its money to your real avatar.  That way you are protected from having all your money stolen (hacks, etc. can only take the bot's float) while still getting all the vendor automation features you can use.

The reason that most vendor scripts ask for debit permission is that the customer needs to be refunded if s/he pays the wrong amount. 

Let's say your item is priced at L$400, but the customer only pays L$200. Of course every decent vendor script will check the received amount against the sales price, but at that point the money is already in your account. This is a major design flaw of SL, the funds should be held in escrow. So in order to refund the L$200, the script needs the permission to rob you blind :)

It's only sensible to be suspicious. As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't trust any free vendor system unless the scripts were modifiable and I had checked them. And wherever possible, I'd use a Linden vendor (i.e. a simple prim configured to sell its contents) instead of a scripted system, for sim performance reasons.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

In cases where people have MANY sales the best system uses a bot (scripted avatar) as the owner of the vendors.  This, as an avatar, is paid immediately on each transaction.  Once it exceeds a 'float' account-balance to cover genuine refunds it transfers the rest of its money to your real avatar.  That way you are protected from having all your money stolen (hacks, etc. can only take the bot's float) while still getting all the vendor automation features you can use.

You were faster :P Anyway, remember the times when LL had daily statistics on the SL homepage, including the amount of money spent inworld? They simply added all inworld payments, including the money that circulated between alts. I guess vendor systems like that greatly boosted the SL economy, at least on the paper :) 

:-) Indeed - 'failed' vendor transactions were also counted, so the story goes.  Sales price L$100, customer pays L$50, vendor refunds L$50, customer pays L$100 = total money spent according to LL of 50 +  50 + 100 = L$200.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I'm afraid the other two are being unintentionally misleading :-(

You DO NOT need to grant vendors debit permission so that they can pay you.  Objects can never hold money in SL, only avatars and, for short periods, groups.  When someone pays a vendor (or tip jar or any other object) the money IMMEDIATELY goes to the owner's account.

It wasn`t really misleading, you are correct that the money gets paid to the owner but mine, for example, do still use a 2 step process because it has a function to share money between different avatars & as I don`t need that function mine is set to share 100% with me. But it still goes through the process, so it will pay me from my own account. For every sale on the vendor I get 2 entries in my transactions & as far as I was aware, the reason it needed permissions was so that it could take money from my account to pay me.

At least that was my understanding, but I could be wrong :)

The scripting also makes it easier to set up split-pays;most vendors have a site that you can set up like 70% for you & the remaining percent to 1 or more others. When the vendor is paid, you get the money then it splits it for the % set up, otherwise you will have to calculate the % everytime something is paid to you, which can add up if you are not online and you get 100 sales; if the items are all diff prices you will have to calculate the % for each 1. But as previously stated, you DON'T have to because when it is paid you will automatically get paid, so if it's just YOU getting the $$ or you are wary of the scripts, you can select no.