How high is 'space'?

ConnorJamesHammond

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everybody,

I'm building s sky platform at present, and have decided I want to go as high as I can, and make it a space orbiter.

At present I am up to about 3000m, and it's just white all around.  What I am wondering is, if I were to keep on going, would I actually reach space?  And what does SL space look like? Dark? lol

I know there are lots of space sims around so I guess there must be something up there?  Or am I on a ost cause?

Thanks in advance!

Connor

There is no SL "Space". The simulator does not re-create effects for that level.

SL was originally designed with a build height limit of 512 Meters, with particle clouds at roughly 200 Meters up. You couldn't quite reach those clouds by flying, without some sort of scripted flight assist. 

They eventually increased the build height limit to 4096 Meters, though many aspects of the environment, like ban lines, were never modified to increase their limits. The max ban line height is stil only 512 Metsrs, even if you explicitly ban someone by name.

Because of that initial environment plan, the simulator stops trying to create a decent horizon effect after you pass 512 Meters or so. From there on up, everything is blank white/blue, or at night is black. But it has no details to speak of. They never re-wrote the simulator code to display anything appropriate for the surface horizon at those altitudes, because the max official draw distance is 512 Meters.

The way that "Space" is simulated in SL is to place your environment within a large box or sphere, and texture the inside of the enclosed space with a star field. That can be done at any altitude - even a box sitting at ground level. My building workshop is inside a 70 M diameter megaprim sphere at 3000 Meters (to keep it low lag and out of sight from the historical-setting builds on the ground), textured on the outside to look like the moon, and on the inside to look like a starfield. At one point I had a nice little space station floating inside that sphere, which I used as a lounge for entertaining friends in a futuristic setting.

There is no "official" height that is classed as space.  As Ceera mentioned, "space" can be any height from the ground to 4096 meters (which is the maximum build height).........it just requires some sort of enclosure to house your "space" simulation.  Once you loose sight of the ground, which depends on your view distance, you can technically be "classed" as being in space.  You can, however, fly as high as you want.  I've flown above 80,000 meters myself and have heard of people flying as high as 1,000,000 meters (I'm not sure I completely believe that since it took my hours of holding down the page up button to get as high as I did that one time.........I do believe it's possible though).  Worn prims start to act weird around 10,000 meters.....don't try to modify a worn prim at that height (it took me quite a long time to find a prim skirt I was modifying once when I suddenly disappeared from my avatar!!).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.