Wtf is up with the word filter?

Dresden Ceriano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So once again I ran across a post where the author wanted to use v*e*r*s*u*s and was not able to.  I had also heard that the abbreviation for it is also blocked and went to check it out for myself. 

What I found is that now when you type something that is not allowed, instead of having **bleep** where the word was, you get redirected to the rich text tab once again... only now, there's a message above it saying "The message body contains (the offending word), which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post."

So I decided to type some other random "naughty" words to see what would happen.  The f-word, the s-word, the c-word, the p-word, the other p-word... the only thing that wasn't accepted was the other p-word and it got **bleep**ed.  Then it dawned on me... the other day I saw a post where someone used the f-word in all it's un**bleeped** glory.  At the time I thought it must have been a glitch but now I'm like wtf?

It's all very strange.

...Dres

Some of the recent spammers constantly used thread titles like "Watch Manchester United  v.e.r.s.u.s  the Boston Celtics" (sorry, I really have no clue about sports), so I guess that's how this innocent word became one of the seven words you can never spell out in this forum :)

It's very curious that the old word filter seems to be gone. I guess whoever was put to the task of stopping the spammers accidentally replaced the old list with the new one.

I, too, wondered what was going on when I saw two posts with the f-word all spelled out in wondrous glory.  I was like 'YAY!'  Then, I heard that a well-known poster had been dinged for writing the s-word.  Well, come on! I do not think it was his fault if the algorithm is messed up.

Did Halloween come early?

Boo!

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Some of the recent spammers constantly used thread titles like "Watch Manchester United  v.e.r.s.u.s  the Boston Celtics" (sorry, I really have no clue about sports), so I guess that's how this innocent word became one of the seven words you can never spell out in this forum
:)

It's very curious that the old word filter seems to be gone. I guess whoever was put to the task of stopping the spammers accidentally replaced the old list with the new one.

I've seen you say that before about v*e*r*s*u*s, but to me it makes little sense to make it so difficult on legitimate posters by excluding it.  I've added removing it to the CTUG agenda, so we'll see what Lexie has to say, if she ever shows up to one again.

The filter is still there, it just isn't blocking all the words it used to and "v*e*r*s*u*s" and "v*s." is blocked but not in the same fashion (the **bleep**).  But the p-word that rhymes with wussy is blocked with the **bleep**.

Someone had to have messed something up big time.  S.N.A.F.U., right?

...Dres

I would rather see words get **bleep**ed, than posts removed for containing a word that the software was supposed to have **bleep**ed.

And I'd rather see words get **bleep**ed than having to go back and edit the words out yourself... it's kinda fun guessing what those **bleep**ed words are supposed to be.  Where's Rudi with their .............s when you need them... lol.

...Dres

ETA: Maybe if we start cursing out Lexie with some of those newly liberated words, it might get fixed quicker... ya think?

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I would rather see words get **bleep**ed, than posts removed for containing a word that the software was supposed to have **bleep**ed.

And I'd rather see words get **bleep**ed than having to go back and edit the words out yourself... it's kinda fun guessing what those **bleep**ed words are supposed to be.  Where's Rudi with their .............s when you need them... lol.

...Dres

ETA: Maybe if we start cursing out Lexie with some of those newly liberated words, it might get fixed quicker... ya think?

Go ahead, Dres.  I will cheer you on from the sidelines.  Now, get that bloody doll away from me!

I personally liked Ishtara's form of protest, replacing \/ersus with Vagina....

and really, do the Lindens dislike me so much that they once auto moderated my name, and now completely reject posts with my initials!?

PS
I really love that this font makes back to back slash look like a perfect capital V

Venus Petrov wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

Go ahead, Dres.  I will cheer you on from the sidelines.  Now, get that bloody doll away from me!

Noway... don't ya go tryin' ta use that perverse psychoticgy with me.  Ya just wanna get me banded so u can steals ma dolly... it ain't gonna work, sista.

...Dres *runs away crying*

@Peewee:

the problem is the word is a fairly common comparative, and frankly only about half that particular spammers threads used it (only the sports related ones)....

besides, if a spammer has to dig around through these threads (assuming they can find them this far out of the way) for ideas on how to beat a simple word filter.... well that'd be just plain sad.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Yay thanks Lexie!! ...Was it the thought of seeing \/agina's all over the forum that did it? lol
9.gif

>.>

<.<

I was ok with that...

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

[...] Looks like we won't have to worry about that word popping up all over the place... it's been blocked now.

WHAT!? I protest !!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.