What did you do as a noob(ie)?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I first came to SL I ran around a bit, talked to a few people and soon realised SL was just about chatting, hanky panky and shopping.

So after a few days I decided SL was stupid and left.

Only returned to try the specs on my new laptop and SL seemed good for that as it is pretty demanding.

This time, seconds before I would leave again, I decided to do a search on something I actually do find interesting; history, vintage, etc.

Not much later I was sitting at a bar listening to 1930s music and talking to people in vintage clothes discussing the past.

The rest, as they say, is history.

ChloeRenee wrote:

lmfaooo!!! I didnt have an AO for like a month either...i didnt even think i was walking funny.

I didn't have an AO for months, I don't really care about appearance and such so I was fine with the way my avatar walked around.

But it drove my friends nuts so one day they bought me an AO :matte-motes-big-grin:

My first day I googled second life and found a really outdated article that explained how to make an AO bracelet.  I wanted to get rid of my newbie walk and I didn't know that there were free AOs. So I was working on making the bracelet and just having an awful time getting it to fit to my wrist because I was totally clueless about builiding. 

So I googled again and hit upon New Citizens Inc and I tp'd there.  There I was - still in my noob clothes with this bracelet resting on my arm. People there suggested that I was skipping over a lot of important lessons like how to see and how to move in SL.  Luckily I had learned the most important lesson - how to get help. NCI Kuula became my home for the next 3 months and the kind people there taught me so much.

I just didn't know that I didn't know what I didn't know. :smileyhappy:

Jo Yardley wrote:

ChloeRenee wrote:

lmfaooo!!! I didnt have an AO for like a month either...i didnt even think i was walking funny.

I didn't have an AO for months, I don't really care about appearance and such so I was fine with the way my avatar walked around.

But it drove my friends nuts so one day they bought me an AO :matte-motes-big-grin:

Jo, like you...I didn't care about my avatars appearance very much.  I was in SL for 3.5+ years before I started using an AO!   

Only after I starting seeing someone, and he kindly offered me a free walk AO, and suggested I might want to try...did I actually start using one.   *laughing* 

I remember being RL panicky on my first day because I'd actually TPed out of the welcome area without even knowing I was, and I was hopelessly confused and almost RL tearful. Idiot!

air hostess.png

Anyway, some angel helped me. She took me to the freebie places and made me into THIS!...and I loved her for it.

I wish to this day I'd have understood enough to friend her, or at least remember her name.

It all went downhill after that though. I found a freebie sex place and camped there. Sometimes I'd shock the doodahs outta the people who leapt on me by responding to them lol.

I met a couple of friends there though that I still love to this day. Not carnally mind. Have you tried washing whites?

Eloise Baily wrote:

I remember being RL panicky on my first day because I'd actually TPed out of the welcome area without even knowing I was, and I was hopelessly confused and almost RL tearful. Idiot!

I did the same exact thing.  I accidentally TPed to Korea and there was absolutely nothing there and I didn't know how to leave.  Luckily, my sister stayed on help island for weeks and learned a few things, so she was able to help me figure some things out.  Eventually I found a help Island that I could actually TP to and was able to utilize it as was intended.

When we joined, my sister and I had only one really outdated computer, so I usually let her get on and I pretty much stayed away from SL for months.  Then I came into some unexpected money and was able to build us each new computers... boy did that change things.  I wonder what my SL experience would have been like if we didn't have the chance to explore and learn together.  I may not even be around anymore if it wasn't for being able to do that.

...Dres

Yeah I hear you Dres. My old laptop could cope but SL killed it. I still miss it too, but after a while, and an insurance claim,  I built this desktop specifically for Sl, though ironically I hardly use it for that anymore.

The best thing about being a noob was meeting the first other noob who knew how to build and who was still excited about it enough to teach me. Thank you Dino. You rule!

I'm still a bit of a freebie whore, only now I'm a bit picky

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes still have orginal outfit('s) from alady island-store, and yes search marketplace far and wide for freeebies.. 

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

I wondered what that strange thing sticking out of my hips was for most of a week. Somehow I figured out it was that awful greyish-mauve polka dot skirt.

Had no idea 'replace outfit' didn't replace everything. %-)

LOL Bitsy. Reminds me of one of my most embarrassing memories! I had what I think was called 'The Businesswoman' on my very first foray into SL (I later came back and started a real account; this was just a visit). I saw someone in that polka-dot outfit and said, "Oh, I really like your dress.", having not noticed it as one of the starter choices. Of course she was as noobish as I so it didn't matter but if there were any experienced people in chat range they must have guffawed.

Oh, the exciting Noob days of camping... oh ohhhh... 1...2.......3... oh ohhh I just need a few more... just a few... mmmmm... oohhhh I can't wait... 8..9........10!  L$10!! now that beautiful dress will be mine! (noob standards apply regarding the beauty of the awfully colored and worsely detailed L$10 dress of course)

Enjoy your Noobie memories!

Lanas

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I saw someone in that polka-dot outfit and said, "Oh, I really like your dress."

Promise me you'll never, ever tell that to a big, black drag queen in RL.  That's exactly what I said and she kicked me in the face then beat me to the ground... all the while, my friends watched in amazement.  Oh, if only they'd have had a video camera... I could have been on "Worlds Dumbest"... lol.

...Dres

• 2 years later...

Omg. I totally got lost I had thise horrendouse pink spotty dress and walked ridged. Before I got my first freebie outfit and I got so lost The next outfit I got was bright pink. Floaty thing tans a pair of silver shoes I won on a lucky chair that made a noise when I walked thought they were awesome. So spent the first few days looking for camping chairs dance pads ect but worse wanted to TP I had no idea what that ment. To a store. Well ended up on a vampire sim that scared the Bjeezus outta me lol everyone who was way older than me teased me non stop yelling noob alert urgh think into my 3 rd week I cracked SL well that was all over 5 years ago and still in SL also seen a lot of changes. Too pepol come and go and sims and I think buried in the dark depths of my inventory theirs a glint of horrible pink spotty material from that noob dress kept it as a memento lol but wouldn't be seen dead in it now and all my ugly freebies are long gone replaced by new hot mesh items but yeah I remeber my noob days innsl think everyone does

I'm the same I still love freebies. Today. I call that my inner noob lol when I was a noob. I lived on freebie sims couldn't get enought of them 3 quarters of them have now been deleted as I think their horrendous now and as I now buy into SL I can aford nice things but still love the nice freebies grabbed a Xmas tree today for house a freebie lol

In my early days of SL, I was always at an infohub. I don't know why, it's where the lab starts most people out. It's a strange experience. Sometimes, there's a crowd of people standing silently and all facing the same direction. It's as if everyone is acting like they're on an elevator, but outdoors at a park or something.

A couple of times I stood and faced the crowd and shouted out: "Who are all you people? Why are you here?" One person answered. "This is an infohub. We're here for information."

I have still have a couple of friends from those days. One of them defriended me a few times. Whenever she split with her current beau, she usually defriended everyone. At least that's what she told me. A few days later, she would send me a friend request and we would be friends again.

That hasn't happened in a long time. I think she gave up on romance. She recently changed her name. I should check up on her and see what's going on. Maybe she found what she was looking for.

Once when I was at Hyannisport, a guy wanted me to permit him to, oops, I better not go into that. This is a PG forum.

I've mentioned this before on the forums...

...after leaving the old Orientation Island and arriving on Help Island, while clicking through all the freebies I somehow managed to wear an Alpine Chalet.  No clue how I got it on and definitely no clue how to get it off.  (I really wish I had a photo of that, but considering I couldn't detach a house from me, taking photos in SL would have been too high tech; plus I was too flustered to even think of that.)

I received an IM/tp request from the person who had invited me to SL from the safety of my IRC chat channel.  Ah!  Maybe he can tell me how to remove this house from my avatar.  However, when I landed I found myself in the middle of a very busy rp area.  The person who invited me to SL had tp'd me there to introduce me to some people.  I was absolutely mortified and the thought of logging out and never returning to SL went through my mind.  However, in a mastery of rp, the other man said, "You are wearing quite a unique hat, M'Lady.  Tell me, is that the style in your lands?"  I was even MORE mortified but relieved no one was pointing and laughing at me.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

...after leaving the old Orientation Island and arriving on Help Island, while clicking through all the freebies I somehow managed to wear an Alpine Chalet.  No clue how I got it on and definitely no clue how to get it off.  (I really wish I had a photo of that, but considering I couldn't detach a house from me, taking photos in SL would have been too high tech; plus I was too flustered to even think of that.)

I received an IM/tp request from the person who had invited me to SL from the safety of my IRC chat channel.  Ah!  Maybe he can tell me how to remove this house from my avatar.  However, when I landed I found myself in the middle of a very busy rp area.  The person who invited me to SL had tp'd me there to introduce me to some people.  I was absolutely mortified and the thought of logging out and never returning to SL went through my mind.  However, in a mastery of rp, the other man said, "You are wearing quite a unique hat, M'Lady.  Tell me, is that the style in your lands?"  I was even MORE mortified but relieved no one was pointing and laughing at me.

But of course they were pointing and laughing at you... you just couldn't see or hear it.  We all went through that, I'm sure... lol.

When you mentioned the Alpine Chalet, I had to wonder if that's the same Alpine Castle that I got when I first started... I'll never forget it.  Fooling around with that in a sandbox was my first introduction to building things in SL.  It may not have made a great hat, but it sure was a great learning tool.  They don't make things like that anymore in SL, afaik... though what I don't know could probably overflow the oceans.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

But of course they were pointing and laughing at you... you just couldn't see or hear it.  We all went through that, I'm sure... lol.

When you mentioned the Alpine Chalet, I had to wonder if that's the same Alpine Castle that I got when I first started... I'll never forget it.  Fooling around with that in a sandbox was my first introduction to building things in SL.  It may not have made a great hat, but it sure was a great learning tool.  They don't make things like that anymore in SL, afaik... though what I don't know could probably overflow the oceans.

...Dres

Could have been or a similar design.  When I arrived on Help Island there was a house that had boards of freebie items.  Not knowing anything about SL, I just began clicking everything!!!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.