Viewer 3 Problems all over the place

Gabby Pixelbottom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am desperately trying to get Viewer 3 to work on at least one of my machines but so far have been completely unable to. On my Windows machine I can perhaps run it for a minute or two sometimes but it always crashes with an OpenGL error, I have made sure everything is updated, I uninstalled and reinstalled my nVidia drivers (many times) but nothing I do seems to help. On my Linux machine I am able to log in and run the client but I can only seem to do anything on my mainland region where my home is, in fact, I can not even see any of the adjacent regions (just water) and I can not walk into them, also my friends list will not load (at least it hasn't after more than 45 minutes of standing at my home now) and I can not tp anywhere without crashing (well that is not entirely true, I can TP to places in the region I am already in but that does not do me much good.)

Both machines have nVidia GTX460 video cards and both machines can run the Phoenix viewer with no problems, I have also had no problems running Viewer 2 versions in the past on either machine. The Windows machine runs Windows 7 64-bit with 6gb of memory and a Core2 Duo 3.0ghz processor, the Linux machine is also 64-bit with 32-bit compatibility libraries installed and has 4gb of memory and an AMD 2.8ghz triple core Phenom II processor. I know these are not the most up to date processors but they are well within the listed requirements for the client. Both machines are connected to a gigabit ethernet switch, I am not running wireless which I know can cause problems.

Over the years I have had my fair share of issues with SecondLife but nothing as frustrating as this, especially running what is listed as the "Stable" version (I know, the Linux client is beta technically but the Windows version is listed as stable and it seems no where near it to me.

Can anyone give me any guidance on what might need to happen to get 3.0 working?

Thanks in advance.

I can only tell you  about my case...and it may not help!  But...I have used most viewers from before 1.23 up to 3.0, and several 3rd party wiewers--I tried 1.0, went back to Phoenix,  tried 2.0, went back to Phoenix, and the 3.0?  It pegs my processors out!  Down to 5 f.p.m. with water, clouds, and particles turned off!  And it takes forever to log on, so I find myself doing other things now besides SL. I don't know if it doesn't run good on multi-cores or not; or 64-bit or not--but there is a problem!  I downed the Firestorem beta viewer and the difference is remarkable..and I can only hope they are designing a viewer to accept mesh, otherwise SL is going to be a distant memory for me...

Just an update, I did not realize there was a 3.0.3 Beta version which I just downloaded and tried on Linux, using a fresh .secondlife folder. I am experiencing the same issues with my friends list not loading and only being able to see the mainland region I logged in to. I will test the new version on Windows too but that will have to be later. Oh also, apparently this viewer thinks my land is for sale! At least the "Buy this land" icon is dipslayed in the address bar of the viewer (clicking on it does bring up a box that says the land is not for sale at least.)

First of all, I need to thank you for providing detailed information on what you're seeing; I really wish more people asked for help like you did.  Some things that would help me get a better grip on what's going on (and feel free to use Pastebin if the output is huge for any of these):

While you're in Linux, open a terminal.  Type glxinfo and hit enter.  What's it say?  Same for lsmod.

What's the complete output in "About Phoenix" under the help menu in your viewer?  Does the amd64 flavor of Imprudence perform differently for you?

I'm suspecting that in Linux, you're using software rendering and/or don't have the correct modules inserted; the output from the above will help me figure out what to try next.

Hi Baloo,

Thank you so much for your willingness to look at this, here is the information you asked for...

About phoenix viewer: http://pastebin.com/FjnukXWv

glxinfo results: http://pastebin.com/cEH3nCJ6

lsmod results: http://pastebin.com/f7m9MEVb

I do not have Imprudence installed but will do so and get back on that.

I have installed the 64-bit version of Imprudence (1.3.2-Linux-x86_64). It is behaving strangely too, for instance, about 2 out of every 3 login attempts it gives me dns errors and fails to log in entirely, but I can do a nslookup on the address it is trying to connect to and that works fine. Plus Phoenix continues to work and if there were dns issues it certainly would not work either. When it does let me log in I had some of the same problems as viewer 3, especially in regards to neighboring regions. From my home I was able to see one of my next door regions but none of the others, when I tried fly into the neighboring region I could see I crashed. I was able to tp to another region I have some land in (Sabre) and made it there ok, but again, none of the neighboring regions were visible and I crashed when trying to tp home.

Thanks again for your help!

Well, Portage did not have 260.99 in it but it did have 260.19.44 and I downgraded to that (this on my Linux machine, have not messed with my Windows box yet). Unfortunately both Second Life 3.0 and 3.03 are still exhibiting exactly the same thing. None of the adjacent regions to the mainland region my home is in are visible and the friend's list does not load. Thanks for the idea though.

• 4 weeks later...

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Tristizia Demonista wrote:

ps.: No, i do not have an idea why
:(

Features removed were deprecated in the OpenGL spec, and nobody should have been using them anymore at this point anyway.  So...SL FAIL.

30% of the people that log into SL have GPUs that don't support modern OpenGL so what exactly is LL supposed to do? Not that it matter tho since everyone who has the problem with nVidia's latest drivers reports being able to login with basic shaders disabled which means the viewer is exclusively using these depreciated functions. If the driver didn't support them anymore then people shouldn't be able to log in at all no matter what their graphics settings. Oh and did I mention that nVidia as repeatedly stated that they have no intention of dropping support for the OpenGL fixed function API?

People are barking up the wrong tree on this one. The viewer is doing something that's causing the latest drivers to take a really long time to crunch through the data, sometimes it gets reset by Windows, some times it crashes. Either way it's the driver that changed, not the viewer, SL isn't the only OpenGL program that's having problems with this new driver.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.