Registration sites that still use last names?

Persephone Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to help my roommate create an alt with a proper last name. Does anyone know which outside registration sites that use both a first & last name still work?

Also, I thought we could check for availablenames by using the Search function in world, but the name she wanted doesn't come up on search, & yet the outside registration site still says it's not available.

Ceera is right none of the thirdparty registration sites work anymore they haven't done in months Anshe Chungs portal will just tell you to check e-mail/user name is correct every time in other words it doesn't accept registrations and second health another thirdparty site pulled their sign up page. i tried recently on one that still exists i have a unique first name which i tried and no combination of available last name and e-mail got past the first step of registration

Where do we plead to get last names back?... I know that's an old worn out argument... but it's so sad seeing so many strange combinations of letters and numbers floating around out there as 'names'... just doesn't feel neighborly... I'll quite whining and go quietly into my corner and shed a tear or two.

I really don't understand the value of taking away a feature that most older residents really like. Linden Labs still has to support last names because so many users have them, so it can't be easier for them to disallow new residents from having 2 names.

The new naming convention not only looks stupid, but is a huge headache for club hosts & merchants who have to try to figure out how to address new residents. It looks & sounds stupid to address someone by a long name with a bunch of numbers after it, so reasonable people try to shorten the name. If you can see a display name, that might be easier, but you have to know the real name to set permissions in groups, for pets (friends of the pet), or for evicting & banning people.

I have often wondered why new users make up stupid alpha-numeric names.  Just make up a first and last name and forget about the space between the two.  Newer viewers don't show the "Resident" part so all is cool.  What bugs me is Chat showing Display Names along with Legacy Names.  Since I don't use Display Names, i respond to the legacy name in Chat.

JohnnyMercury wrote:

I have often wondered why new users make up stupid alpha-numeric names.  Just make up a first and last name and forget about the space between the two.  Newer viewers don't show the "Resident" part so all is cool.  What bugs me is Chat showing Display Names along with Legacy Names.  Since I don't use Display Names, i respond to the legacy name in Chat.

They do it because the sign-up process leads you to believe that you are the only one who will see your username.

I don't understand the no last name thing either, to be honest. I trust there is some plan at the heart of it.

I wish I could remember the log in for a good alt I made *snif*

I don't really want to bother if I can't have a last name so, oh well. But then maybe that was part of the reason - so people stop making alts because they wanted a last name.

The old last names were fun. Some of my friends got last names that matched those of other friends, got matching names for alts like siblings, or picked names that showed an interest.

If Linden Lab wanted to discourage people from creating alts there are much simpler ways that wouldn't also discourage first time players or make most of the newbies look stupid for picking an unwieldy user name.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.