Unwrapping issue

Alexandra Barcelos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Did i miss something or ?"

Seams ? To get the ordinary unwrap yo work, you need to have enough seams (select edges, mark seams) that will allow it to be flattened out without too much distortion, but not so many that it gets fragmented, as that raises the PE and can lead to odd texturing artefacts. If you have parts, such as the pillows, that are going to have different textures, you can unwrap the separately by selecting the appropriate faces before each unwrap.

I never understood what smart unwrap was supposed to do and certainly never got anything from it that I would call smart. Some of the other modes are very useful though, especially project from view for getting flat maps on walls etc. (you have to pull out the edges on the uv map though).

By the way, you might want to reduce thge polygons in the pillows. It looks headed for a rather high PE as it is.

"...as for the pillow is there a way to select the sides and remove these edges only ? because no matter how much i smooth it out the pillow looks deformed at the end . so i had to add some faces in order for it to look right ."

Actually, looking more closely, it's the cover, not the pillows. You could probably make the bottom of the cover (and pillows?) very simple, as the are not seen.

To make some edges sharp while most are smooth, use the "edge split" modifier. Best without the automatic angle option, as you have more control with the explicit edges that you mark as sharp. Remember to apply the modifiers in the Collada export (or apply it before export).

You could keep a relatively high poly density along the pillow edges while reducing it in the middle. You can eliminate vertices by judicious use of Alt-M, or faster by using egde slide with multiple edges selected, followed by Mesh/Vertices/Remove doubles.

• Like 1

That edge slide tip is very useful Drongle, thanks for that.  I'll also mention that you can reach the merge vert menu in an alternative manner by using CTL V. It adds an extra click to then select merge from that menu to get to the same the menu ALT M gives you directly, but its a trade off.  Alt M requires me to move my entire hand across the keyboard to the right and lose the anchor that keeps me from having to look down at the keyboard to position my hands, so for me I'd rather keep my hand in position and live with the extra click.  It's trivial, I know, but for me these trivial things can make a huge difference in speeding my work along.

Actually we do see the pillows the first one is out of the sheets and the second as only 1/4 covered , and when i remove faces and smooth out the pillow becomes to smooth witch takes off the cloth effect i sculpted on them . Only place i do think theirs to much is on the sides they are all packed in and hard to distinguish .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.