Can a photographer use my avatar image as a marketing tool without my permission?

Shugar Rebane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

a photographer created a morph of me that a friend paid for as a gift. reluctantly i allowed her to do the morph. i am not thrilled with the image. the photographer has placed my name in it without asking and posted it and tagged me on the sight. i've not given her permission to use my image or any version there of or my name to market her photographer. is this against TOS?

2 answers to this question

From LL's official Snapshot and Machinima Policy: "For machinima, you must have the consent of all Residents whose avatars or Second Life names are featured or recognizable in the machinima. This includes avatars who are featured in a shot, avatars whose names are legible, and avatars whose appearance is sufficiently distinctive that they are recognizable by members of the Second Life community. Consent is not required if an avatar is not recognizable and is merely part of a crowd scene or shown in a fleeting background. Consent is not required for any snapshots. [emphasis added]"

Your best bet is to speak to a real life lawyer who deals with copyright/intellectual property.  As far as I know LL is the only entity with any legal rights to avatars or any grid parts.  Spend a hundred bucks USD if it's that big a deal for you........I really don't think you'll like the outcome but it's worth a try if you are that concerned.  As long as no personal information is attached or revealed, it's not a ToS violation.  Legal issue is a grey area since almost anything can be twisted around to be whatever a clever lawyer wants it to be.

It's your money.  You decide.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.