What is the best SL Viewer?

Tristan Greymoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since V2 and Phoenix are not mesh enabled, we will all have to move to V3 or Firestorm to view the new meshes and work with them in world.

I have been a huge fan of Emerald/Phoenix since it first came out however, I like V3 much better than Firestorm.  They made some improvements on V3 which make it a bit more intuitive and easier to use while it seems Firestorm went the opposite direction.

Currently I have SL3.0 for building and what not and Kristens for S21 build 9 for photography and just general going about.Kristen has been working with the version 2 code since it was released and while keeping many of the V2/V3 basics has altered and improved on the code. Kristens has been mesh capable for most of the summer-you could use it in Aditti to import and view mesh So technically she was SL3 months before SL was.

The reality is what works best on your machine should be your guiding factor.Give all of them a run, kick their tires and all that good stuff, just note that SL is moving forward and the viewers before ver 2 are mired in the past...you won't be able to see those people properly that wear mesh, or layer their layers(I generally wear 3-4 layers on my tattoo layer and 2 on the underwear layer. You will see one on each and won't be able to layer yourself.).You won't have a favorites landmarks bar or outfits selection to easily save your favorite looks with out generating multiple duplicates of items. Also it is possible when your inventory grows that the count will be less then what you have in a version2 or 3.

You will have better building tools in those pre 2.0 viewers. There are those that will tell you these viewers are easier to learn. I think they are about the same if you are starting from scratch with no help learning.

They all lag. They all disconect at the most inconvenient times. And I assure you if you disconect and are naked,no matter what you do, you will re log into sl in the most public sim out there.

In the end it is what works best for you and what you need it to do...And understand that there will be days when no matter what viewer you chose your experience in SL will be miserable...It's the nature of the beast.

My current vote is for the newest version of Phoenix, I've also tried V2/V3 and Imprudence but Phoenix is the only one that has worked fully for me.  Could have something to do with running on Linux.

Tried using V2 for a while, actually liked the interface once it was improved, but then was forced to upgrade and since then any version of V2 or V3 crashes when I try to teleport.

Imprudence was great, except I couldn't created prims greater then 10m.  Had this problem with V3 too which surprised the hell out of me.

V2/V3 run considerably slower then either Imprudence or Phoenix, and as far as mesh goes I'm not in much of a hurry, it's fun watching you guys trying to make a fashion statement wearing a donut anyways

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.