Is mesh the right term?

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm trying to wrap my mind around some of the terminology. Sorry for the simple questions.

Is mesh a poor term?

Some people have said everything in sl is essentially mesh, since under everything, it's all just polygons linked together in wireframe constructs. This seems to make sense to me, but is it the right way to look at it?

If this is true, what's a better term? :D

Is mesh the accepted term in the 3D world outside of SL? Should they be called lofted surfaces or NURBS? (I've been reading, so I'm wildly throwing some new terms around. Please correct if needed.)

Will I need a math degree to create clothing? (Only half kidding.)

Thanks

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_mesh)

A polygon mesh or unstructured grid is a collection of vertices, edges and faces that defines the shape of a polyhedral object in 3D computer graphics and solid modeling.
A vertex is a position along with other information such as color, normal vector and texture coordinates. An edge is a connection between two vertices. A face is a closed set of edges, in which a triangle face has three edges, and a quad face has four edges. A polygon is a set of faces.
[unquote]

Yes, in SL everything is already mesh. Inside SL the mesh consists of vertices, edges and triangle faces. A set of faces is a polygon. No NURBS nor lofted surfaces in SL.

What is new in SL now is that we can create mesh objects outside SL with 3D program and then import them to SL. Ordinary prims and sculpties have their specific limitations, which this new mesh import does not have.

(Maybe Linden Lab should have called this new feature "Imported mesh" instead of "mesh" to avoid confusion).

• Like 1

• A prim is a set of numbers and parameters that is converted into a polygon mesh by the SL viewer. 

• A sculpty is a 2D image (a so-called sculpt map) that is converted into a polygon mesh by the SL viewer.

• A mesh item is a polygon mesh that was readily created outside of SL and uploaded to the SL grid.

Insofar, I find the term quite apt. Mesh items are the only objects in SL that are created as a mesh, and not by uploading a 2D image or entering numbers and parameters into the edit window (or by rezzing a conventional prim with the default parameters, which is basically the same).

This was really helpful for me. Those links really helped me understand this and, Ishtara, you helped clarify it.

It would be nice to have a better def from LL. The wiki entry below doesn't really answer the same question, at least not as well as this thread, imo.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/What_is_mesh%3F

Thank you both.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.