Mesh Objects, Second Life, and horsesh............

Smoke Carter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Almost... Four LOD levels => three switches. They are approximately* 4, 16 and 32 times the object radius, multiplied by renderVolumeLODFactor. You can set renderVolumeLODFactor from 0 to 2 in the object detail slider in graphics preferences, or higher by using Advanced->Show Debug Settings. The object radius is the distance from the center to a corner of the bounding box (that you see when you choose stretch in the object editor). A cube with object radius 1 has an edge of 1.155. A thin rod with radius 1 has length 2.

Sketchup seems to prefer making objects out of many small meshes instead of all in one. Then the individual pieces are smaller and switch at shorter distances. It can be used, but is not the program of choice for mesh destined for SL.

* actually, r/0.24, r/0.06 and r/0.03. There is also some delay and some "slop" which I don't understand.

Why don't you do something useful and creative with your disappointment.  Create an impressive and  beautiful prim/scultpie build only venue that will knock peoples socks off .  Then advertse it as such so folks who don't want to make the viewer switch sacrifice to view mesh have a place to congregate and not have mesh blobs interfere with thier viewing experience.  And even better, create a blog to list your and other's recommendations of sites that they can visit to restrict their  travels to a prim/sculpty only experience.  If you correctly speak for the majority of SL users, in that your viewpoint and anger matches that of the majority, I'm sure you will be very successful.  Go for it.

I hear alot of people complaining about viewer version 2, I see few of them taking their toys and leaving the playground, however.

~shrug~ No one forces you to use mesh. No one forces you to use sculpts. No one forces you to use Viewer 2. No one forces you to use voice. No one forces you to even use a graphical viewer at all.

On the other hand, I can't be bothered to cater to people who use old, outdated viewers. If you cannot see my avi because your old, cruddy viewer doesn't understand mesh, doesn't understand alpha layers and doesn't understand sculpts... that's your problem. Not mine.

About Viewer 2: In MY opinion LL didn't remotely go far enough with the UI. The v1 UI was a godforsaken pile of junk apparently cobbled together by imbeciles. The v2 UI is a pile of clutter that's marginally better, yet seems to have been cobbled together by losers who flunked UI design 101. When LL heard "clutter" they created the basic UI - yay for the idea, flunked the implementation.

Mesh seems to be the first thing they actually got right.

Oh and if you really have any kind of learning disability and prefer the old cruddy 90s-era v1 UI: Look at Cool VL Viewer, it has mesh support in a v1 UI, along with most other v2 additions.

• Like 2

@Ishtara

@Smoke - Personally, I love mesh!!!! Thank God it is here!!! Where have you been all my 2ndlife, mesh? As far as viewers, why get mad at LL? There is 1 TPV that has had mesh as soon as any SL viewer, while other TPVs are just now thinking about mesh. Sounds to me like you should be ranting at your TPV.

Believe me, I still hate many parts of V2, and can't understand for the life of me why proffessional, highly paid, UI people at the Lab can't fix the sidebar, yet a few part time coders at 2 different TPV's seem to understand the sidebar issue pretty dang good.

Smoke, you have the right to not use a mesh viewer and to limit your experience of Second Life. I will not deny you that or argue your right to do so.

However, do not expect me to limit myself or my experience of Second Life to please you. I will wear mesh clothing and I don't care if you don't see me properly. I will use mesh on my sims, andI don't care if you don't see it properly. Don't ask me to feel sorry for you or cater to you. It is your CHOICE not to see mesh.

I remember when Mesh was first announced, that many people complained about being forced to use V2 and prefer V1 etc.

It was also said when developers of TPV's announced they would backport mesh, that it was impossible, mesh is too closely tied to the V2 code.

Well so far the only V1 style viewer (which is based on Snowglobe) that has backported mesh successfully is Cool VL.

Other viewers  that claim mesh support, I believe someone mentioned one or two, support the form of mesh on opensim grids which isn't compatible with LL's implementation,so cannot be used for viewing mesh in Secondlife.

Henri Beauchamp has worked hard and is bringing out frequent updates of his Cool VL 1.26 mesh viewer. It's considered Beta,but works well -

Just so this doesn't seem like an advert for Cool, there is a closed beta of Firestorm being tested right now,which will be released when the known bugs are ironed out, hopefully in the next couple of weeks (but don't quote me on that) and Kirstens of course has had a Mesh beta since not long after Mesh tests began on the beta grid and is now stable. Latest version is 21(9)

*huggs*

Mondy

Thread is tll;dr beyond:

Smoke Carter wrote:

As far as other viewers enabling mesh......well, if I was a developer on an alternate viewer, I would really consider whether it is worth the effort.  YES, mesh is that bad.  I think it will be a thing of the past, unless they can correct the problem without requiring their consumers to buy extreme high end computers to handle the input.

This is a really amusing misunderstanding.  Mesh is simply the way objects are made in 3D graphics.  Enabling their DIRECT use in SL makes more things possible and simpler than 'having' to use pre-formed (mesh) prims or very limited sculpties.  To say mesh will be a 'thing of the past' is simply to show a complete lack of understanding about ANY 3D computer environment.  True, there are other ways to do it, but precious few - expensive - graphics cards that can display them.

Quite simply Mesh IS the simple, cheap, low-end way to do things.

>>Smoke, you have the right to not use a mesh viewer and to limit your experience of Second Life. I will not deny you that or argue your right to do so

However, do not expect me to limit myself or my experience of Second Life to please you. I will wear mesh clothing and I don't care if you don't see me properly. I will use mesh on my sims, andI don't care if you don't see it properly.<<

I never implied that you should never use mesh.  I would not even think of implying that you shouldn't use mesh.  After all, is I implied that you should walk around SL like a normal person with clothes I would be limiting my own "personal experiance" in that I would lose hours of hilarity every time I saw someone walking around in balloons.  The purpose of venting here (of course I have to limit my venting) is to warn the normally sane of the REAL story on mesh.  Attempting to limit a liberal to common sense is useless.....look at what they have done to what could have been a great Nation.  Now instead, you Americans will probably be receiving charity from the UK in a few years.

Another purpose of this posting was to prevent anyone else following the primrose path like I did and wasting time and effort.  As another has posted here, converting all his sculpties to mesh, and running into the problems that I have outlined.  Of course, listening to the tone of 80% of these postings, you (plural, non-defining) could care less what happens as long as it does not happen to you.  Actually, I thought an internet forum was designed for the interchange of ALL ideas, not just the ones praising LL and your point of view.  Instead of respecting that I see myself being accused of "whining", feeling sorry for myself, etc.  Freedoms and rights........rather than scream about getting yours, you might think about what they are.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.