Second Life stuck on Initializing VFS...

LadyAngelDust

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just joined not 3 days ago and already I'm having this problem. I researched the problem already and found something about deleting certain folders, but I also saw a warning that it could crash the computer...others were also saying they tried that but to no avail... Could it be problems that have nothing to do with my computer that the staff need to fix themselves? I also have Norton running I don't know if that'll affect it or not.. Dose anybody have the solution to this problem? Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried to delete the AppData folder thing and it said I need permission to perform the action, so I can't even do that =/

im using Windows as my operating system, so i can give you advice over it.

when you uninstall there are some files that are left around, like your chat logs.

try uninstalling it, then removing the folders that are about second life under c:\program files\

you can also clean all the other files left behind under C:\Documents and Settings\Canoro\Application Data\SecondLife

just replace Canoro with the name of your account in Windows.

those are all the files i know that second life use. and maybe there are the files that are damaged.

not really, i have been in second life for more than 3 years and it only happened to me a couple of times.

sorry you get to experience this with the program, luckily you wont have it again in a long time.

sometimes files get damaged in many programs because they stop unexpectedly, and some files that the program may be saving get saved only by half, and when the program tries to go back to that file is already damaged.

welcome to second life and wishing you a pleasant experience.

try using this viewer, is called firestorm, it looks a little different than the normal viewer, as i understand, it install the files in different directories, so it may install fresh.

here is the link to get it: http://downloads.phoenixviewer.com/windows/Phoenix_Firestorm-Beta_2-5-2-16922_Setup.exe

i hope you get to solve your problem with this fix.

it may work without uninstalling the viewer, but i would do it to be make sure everything works right.

it says phoenix because its made by the phoenix team, they are the creators of the phoenix viewer and firestorm.

ill give you the link to the download page, to make sure the links work.

http://www.phoenixviewer.com/downloads.php

the phoenix viewer looks like the first version of the official viewer released, firestorm looks like the version we use now.

• 7 months later...

Tal!  This problem has nothing to do with Second Life.  It has everything to do with your graphics driver.  You should follow  SL protocol and delete two folders before doing the following.  Using Windows Explorer, move to your user name, AppData, Local and delete the Second Life folder.  Then move to AppData, Roaming, and delete the Second Life folder.  (This will erase all your logs.  If you wish to save them, you can just rename the Local Second Life folder and move them back later when all is working to the newly created AppData, Local, Second Life folder.)  Reboot and try SL Viewer.

If that doesn't work, then this will.  By way of explanation, something has corrupted your graphics driver.  Solution:  The easiest for Windows is to go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapters.  Note down the name of your adapter.  Click update.  Try SL again.  If not, then go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapter again, and uninstall it (don't worry).  Then reboot the computer.  It will reinstall it automatically upon your re-boot.  If that doesn't work, then you will need to go to your display adapter manufactor's webpage and download the most current driver.  When that is installed, it will work :)

This problem has nothing to do with Second Life.  It has everything to do with your graphics driver.  You should follow  SL protocol and delete two folders before doing the following.  Using Windows Explorer, move to your user name, AppData, Local and delete the Second Life folder.  Then move to AppData, Roaming, and delete the Second Life folder.  (This will erase all your logs.  If you wish to save them, you can just rename the Local Second Life folder and move them back later when all is working to the newly created AppData, Local, Second Life folder.)  Reboot and try SL Viewer.

If that doesn't work, then this will.  By way of explanation, something has corrupted your graphics driver.  Solution:  The easiest for Windows is to go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapters.  Note down the name of your adapter.  Click update.  Try SL again.  If not, then go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapter again, and uninstall it (don't worry).  Then reboot the computer.  It will reinstall it automatically upon your re-boot.  If that doesn't work, then you will need to go to your display adapter manufactor's webpage and download the most current driver.  When that is installed, it will work :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.