Do we need a Blender forum?

Jacki Silverfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now that mesh has been released I'm assuming there are many that are starting to use Blender to explore and learn modeling. Since it's a free program makes it very popular.

There are many here experienced in using Blender that could help out with tech problems or even just critiquing work.

What do you think? Should Blender along with other 3D programs have its own place in the forums?

I would say look on the internet for the blender communties to fulfill questions and critiques.  I would say 80% of the questions in the future are going to be strictly Blender user questions.  The communty sites also have sections of critque, and since 3D models can be saved of as a .jpg you have better chance of getting critque and feedback.  If you did the same here, then you'd only get half the crowd to resond as some are Maya or other 3D program users and they'd not be able to tell you how to achieve better results because they don't know Blender.

If people want to show off things they built, I think a specific 3D "Show Me" forum would be fun to look at.  I just don't think it should be program specific.  

We have started to support blender directly. So you can expect to see some enhancements in the blender documentation wiki in the future. And i have agreed to participate in the german localization of blender ( internationalisation comes somewhere in release 2.6 as far as i understood ) I will start in a few days as soon as the related software branch is fully working.

So i guess it is much more clever to first see what blender.org has to offer. The blenderartist forum is a great repository for knowledge and discussions. SL forums should realy be reserved for SL related issues, like "why does my mesh upload fail", and "why do my models crash my SIM" and "Why are my sculptmaps borked after upload". Well the last type of questions should be answered by a robot meanwhile ...

Machinimatrix-forum ? Realy ?

you mean like that whole mesh forum that's already in place (or the constant overflow in building, which has incidently drowned out all texturing discussion? (which used to be the third most active Creation forum)

PS @ Alisha:
There is a Machinima forum, or did I misunderstand?

I think the mesh forum being separate was just because it wasn`t an active feature & being new there was obviously lots of questions about it, but at some point wouldn`t it naturally just become part of the building & texturing forum? Afterall we don`t have a separate sculpty forum.  Making blender some sort of sub forum to mesh would just confuse things even more, as blender is not specifically a mesh tool, so if your question was about sculpties in blender or texturing, should it be in building/texturing instead?

If texturing is lumped in with building (which I don`t particualrly agree with) then logically all other building/ texturing topics, such as sculpties, mesh, blender, maya, gimp, PS, PSP etc etc should all be in the building/texturing forum too or it is just too confusing for people looking where to post & also people looking for previous related topics.

Void Singer wrote:

somehow I doubt mesh would  (or reasonably could) be merged merged with building right now. It's currently more active than even scripting, which has historically been the most active creation forum of them all (probably because it touches everything, and does more on top)

I did say eventually, not right now,  its still far too new atm and will continue to be a busy forum for a good while yet, but at some point it will become as commonplace as sculpties & will probably end up in with the rest, so the suggestion of adding subforums to mesh didn`t seem like a good idea.

EDIT: I actually didn`t say eventually, I said at some point lol...meh ya know what I mean :D

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

What do you think? Should Blender along with other 3D programs have its own place in the forums?

We also don't have Photoshop and GIMP forums. Or a forum for Poser, QAvimator, DAZ Animator... I mean, where would that end? We have web content on prims now, so we'd also need to cover all popular HTML editors out there. People download their transaction history and view it in Excel, which means we need a forum for MS Office as well. It would soon get out of hand, and I don't think that LL should be promoting third party software. They already do that way too often (Facebook, Twitter...).

You don't get what I mean. There is no need to sudivide the forum into seperate 3D program sub forums. That will just cause the modellers to be grouped  into the subforum depending on which program they use.

Imagine if there are subforums and someone posted an awesome tutorial in the maya subforum, then a blender user goes in and ask "hey guys, is there a way I can do this on blender?". It's just not necessary to seperate and group based on 3D programs.

:smileyvery-happy: I suppose one could just keep going on and on with your thoughts. As well can be said of any of the current topics on the forums. Hell, lets make one sub forum for office regarding type face and fonts.

ETA LL also uses Blender and other 3d software. We promote enough 3rd party viewers here so why not? These are what makes mesh there is no other way to get around it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.