Maya Rigging (what the heck happened)?

Torn Difference

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it just me or has this happened to others? I do not know what to do. I have been working on building mesh models for weeks now. Every time I ask someone what software should I use or ask a specific question that's not in the many tuts or tut videos I have been through, I have had to upgrade and downgrade several software packages several times because very helpful angels out there can't help me if I am not working with their interface version. Being I am most comfy in maya and zbrush I was pushing for those. Finally after making a fool of myself trying to rigg in blender for the countless sleepless night, someone points me to a tut on rigging in Maya just this evening. HOW EXCITING RIGHT?!....WRONG! I dowloaded the av rig like an obedient student and ...errmmm......................................WHAT THE HECK!  Its all wonky! I would usually at this point ask very nicely, where did I go wrong and how do I fix it?  So here goes...."where did I go wrong, someone rescue me".

Now, I will curl up in my bed and cry. I only opened the file for goodness sake. No touching extra buttons, no fancy file renaming....absolutly nothing but open it. (anyone have pity on me?)... ill stop babbling now..I tend to do that when flustered sorry...just ignore all of the above but the question:PMaya on Meth

The issue is that the skeleton is so small that the default Maya joint size is huge. Go to Window>Setting/Preference>Kinematics and then go with joint size 0.03 or just use the slider to adjust.Be warned though if you sourced that skeleton from one of the forums and its called "Working Skeleton" we tried that and its size and rotation are correct but the skeleton itslef has been massively altered from the Sl default. Its arms, head and neck are very elongated etc.We basically dicided to start from scratch and size down our own version to try and make the nightmare that is Sl mesh stop for even just a minute :)

Hey there just is no official Skeleton from LL out there. The most reliable source for now is to start from the official + blend files and import your model from there and just fix the typical porting issue works quite nice. What nice about the blender avatar file is that it stores all the weights for the base avatar already and sometimes I find myself to just transfere them as well, so I don't have to waste that much time to draw an entire new weight map in Maya.

Anyway, since LL doesn't really care to set standards themself by introducing a Next Gen Avatar Base and a much more flexible bone system that would allow creators to add bones to the avatars base. I am still wondering why LL didn't just add extra bones to the avatar to do the avatar mass shaping, but went with stupid vertex weighting groups that noone can Import as part of the mesh.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.