Sluggish Asset Servers

Zena Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on every day (for many hours at a time) since the April 22nd server updates doing my own updates with the new LSL functions and megaprims.

About once an hour the asset servers would get sluggish no matter what time of day it was. Since last Saturday  the asset servers have been real sluggish all the time with no change with today's server updates.

There's way too much delay with rezzing objects out of inventory, editing/saving notecards, and editing/saving scripts if the server actually decide to accomplish these tasks. And it takes forever for rezzed objects to delete from in-world.

Even with a healthy scripted delay, my HOLO vendors get stacked up with demos because the servers won't delete objects.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't reset my router since I reformatted my hdd last month.

I just reset the cable modem and the router so we'll see how somethings go but I've always had good connectivity.

With my HOLO vendors having rez/derez probs the same time I'm having probs I'm more inclined to believe the asset servers to be acting below par.

@Zena

While what Peggy says is true, it also begs the question.

I have been seeing poor response times from the asset servers now for a considerable time, and no amount of resetting of router, modem or any other user-serviceable items alter it.

Bandwidth changes have no effect: (I must qualify that;  bandwidth changes have no positive effect.  Getting it wrong can have a very serious negative effect).

Sim ping times seem good, so it is not server-viewer lag.  No, I agree with you, Zena, there is an issue.

As to whether it is the actual asset server or the sim-server interaction is another matter.

Those more learned in geekery might be able to elucidate.

The modem and router reset (I even updated the firmware on the router) didn't change anything... I'm still experiencing poor response times from the asset servers along with another problem.

For the last 2 server updates I have had to reset my region due to Magic Box communications being not only knocked out but also locked out.

Incoprorating the new LSL script  functions, updating notecards and vendors, and trying to get new iterations to the Marketplace has become a real challenge.

Out of curiosity, I did some Internet Speed Tests to the diff places that LL has servers.

San Fransisco, Dallas, and Virginia tests were well within what I would expect (30Mbps/5Mbps) but the test to Phoenix was about 1/3 of the others.

As I reset my Homestead region I make note of the severs I end up at. There seems to be a numbered series... 7000, 8000, and 9000 for Homesteads. I do wonder if this is related to their location. 

I seem to get the best performance from the 8000 series servers but this is also were I'm experiencing poor asset server response. Are the 8000 series servers located in Phoenix?

But even at 10Mbs/3Mbps I should be doing okay.

Just would like to say that I have seen a dramatic difference in things like opening the inventory window or the texture selection window. Quite a few seconds elapse before they even open, and the texture window takes a long time to load a texture.

(Then there is a the problem of large chunks of objects on my sim not showing up at all, which I have reported elsewhere.)

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.