This is what SL is like for me

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

* I am building a house and the numbers I enter jump around wildly. I have to input each of them 3-4 times before they will stick.

* I am also doing customer service but I am missing 7K of inventory so can't give the notecards or objects I need to.

* I leave my workshop to go down and help a customer find something and my 4-sim store is almost blank -- all I see is grass, even right in front of me. Even the water is gone.

These are not unusual things -- this is my daily experience.

These are my specs for my new iMac:

CPU: 8 x i386 (Unknown) (3400 MHz)
Memory: 16384 MB
OS Version: Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 6970M OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.6.36

Anyone have a clue what makes stuff disappear? Or the numbers jump around?

You mean my wireless? 

Yes I think that is the cause of my inventory problem, which is a longstanding plague.

But I just made a discovery -- I could rez the house I just finished on three of my sims fine but on the fourth, half of it OR the whole thing was invisible. So I restarted the sim and now I can see the whole thing when I rez.

Also on this same sim, boxes are always setting themselves to sell original instead of copy which means ppl don't get them in inventory.

However, the invisibility thing started when I got my new computer, so I thought it had to do with that.

The numbers, I don't know -- had not considered wireless as a possibility. Restarting the sim did not help with that.

wireless will almost definitely be the source of most of the problems... the added invisibility of items not showing up including water could very well be the video card... I'm not up on ATI specs as I abandoned them for nvidia cards after repeated short lifespans of support and updates =/

Damn I hate to hear that -- I was determined to get the fastest card available for the iMac and this was it. Was thrilled I could set my dd as high as I liked and could zip around instead of heading out over the ocean all the time, turn on reflections, etc. I guess I will just have to get used to relogging more often.

And I guess I will have to get a wired connection.

Appreciate your input!

different nic cards have different susceptibility to to wireless interference (and case design and position can have an effect).... some people manage to run SL wireless with little problem, but it's a pretty rare event.... I'm not sure what in the SL protocols makes it so touchy on wireless issues... possibly poor handling of resends.

I am thinking it might be this $80 wireless mouse.  I got a wireless Magic Mouse with the iMac, it was awful, then got this Logictech Anywhere one, which is worse.

Also unless I am hallucinating (again) now my walls and floors are getting their rotations out of whack

I recently discovered for myself how WiFi was giving me some similar issues.  Using WIFI, I have had issues on and off - most days just fine, but some days just terrible.  (I use Phoenix and Firestorm)  I recently changed ISP's and they provide intenet to a router that has both wifi and wired capablity.  I ran an ethernet cable from the new router to the old one, since the old one was serviceing some non-wirelss devices.

Well, I could hardly log into SL with the new WiFi signal.  Packet loss was nuts.  And if I changed sims, the packet loss would spike up, it would be many minutes before I could move.  Fiddling around, I found that if I hooked up to the WiFi from the old router, most of my problems went away.  Instead of seeing huge packet loss whenenever I changed sims, (or jacked my draw distance way up, and panning all around with the camera --- looks like a data rate thing), I only had a problem every 5 or 10 tries. Then I tried an ethernet cable direct to the router, and that almost comletely eliminates packet loss for me.

I've ended up mosly using the wifi from the old router, most of the time it seems to be just fine, and I don't trip on the cable that way.  But if I notice high packet loss when I log in, I log off, switch to the ethernet cable, and the problems go away.  For some reason, the wireless is bad only sometimes.  I am within 20 ft of both wifi's, so I don't think is a signal strength thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.