Can some one give me a guide to SL?

SL8995

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

to me second life is very confusing and basically the only thing i know how to do is move lol so could someone give me a guide on everything that is involved with SL building, texturing, animation, custimization, owning land, etc whatever you got please. PLEASE try to make them step-by-step or videos would be good (i love torley!) but somehow its still kinda confusing and i wanna say one last thing...THANK YOU after all of the game communities ive been in this is the most active and helpful ty so much for all that you've done for me i couldn't be happier!

sorry for asking so many questions its just when i play a game i wanna know everything about it! THANKS AGAIN! :D

Your enthusiasm is infectious, SL8995, and I am going to offer you the same advice as Jacki - take your time! It is impossible to learn everything all at once, and you've seen there is a lot to take in already.  I sometimes spend hours in youtube watching Torley's secondlife video tutorials, along with others made by other people, and recommend you watch, and rewatch several times.

as the others said, there is sooo much to learn and you cant learn it all at ounce. experiment with building and texturing in sandboxes, ask friends for help when you get stuck, watch tutorials ( although some tutes are made by people who think your a computer programmer) and learn from you mistakes. if you "own" land, you can build things, make mistakes and delete them without having to find sandboxes. It will take time, so take you time and have fun.............

The best way to get started in SL is to have someone who's been around a while help you, Help from the forums & videos is good too, but eventually you just have to try doing things for yourself.  Don't feel bad if you feel a bit lost & awkward at first. We're all been there. There are a few newbie help vidoes on YouTube, but my favorites aren't so much for the newbies as they are for the rest of us who have done stupid things or seen others do them. The Soda Lemondrop Vidoes basically show you what Not to do in SL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qjO4VIlJEc

You can go to YouTube & search on "Second Life Beginner Giude" for help vidoes, but try to pick vidoes that are less than 3 years old, as many thungs have changed since then. Here are some vidoes intended to help you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Secondlife#g/c/D237D0E11AC1F341

One of the joys of SL is learning new things no matter how long you have been a resident.  I learned only a short while ago that I could derender water in order to subdivide land more easily.  (try doing it underwater sometime...not easy!)  I have been in SL 4 1/2 years!  So, laugh at yourself while you learn new things.

There are many free courses you can take inworld to learn how to build, script, use textures, etc.  Search on any of those words and you are sure to find them.

Enjoy and good luck!

I haven't watched the video's by Torley yet so I don't know what's in them, but one thing that is really helpful to me is to rename all the items I buy.  I right click on a folder with the items and chose RENAME, and then I rename them into categories such as Boots, Black Knee High (may put designer name also), and then all my boots inventory is lined up.  Taking that same example, you could rename all your JEANS as jeans with a description, or TOPS with a description, etc.  It's best to think of some inventory system that works best for you though.  Of course, I have no idea how many items you want to purchase, so you may fall into the category of wanting to only own one or a few outfits as some people do.  I also keep a notebook and write things in my notebook for easy reference.   Have you found Marketplace yet?  Marketplace rocks, and to find Marketplace simply point your cursor at shopping instead of community, and you can find bizillions of things to few in a short time span.  Click on Marketplace, then click open 'see all categories' and once you hit 'see all categories' that will bring up a pricing menu where you can search for items from 0 to 10 lindens, and up.  The option tools are so amazing in Marketplace and you can search for items in all price ranges and narrow your search down so easily too, such as just wanting to shop for footwear for an example. 

Renaming your folders so you remember what's in them is a very good idea.

You should also get used to making subfolders within the Folders you start with. How you use SL will determine how you label your subfolders. Whatever you do, don't just let all your stuff go into your Inventory without ever organizing it somehow.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.